Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

Ive just been sent a new print head from HP under warranty, thank you, along with a set of start up cartridges. 

All has to be sent back.

Can I just use my ink I have in there at the moment all quite full and keep the spare set and use when I run out. Then send them back.

Or put them all in and and store mine till they run out.

Do used cartridges store well?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If the ink level inside your old cartridges isn't enough for printhead initialization printer will inform you for that and will not continue, that is why you get a set of ink cartridges and the instruction video might recommend first to replace ink cartridges.

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

You need to use startup cartridges to initialize your new printhead, other ink cartridges can't initialize new printhead.
After the printhead initialization, you can use your old ink cartridges, or wait until startup ink cartridges get empty. Not sure how long you have to return, but if HP can wait until you empty startup cartridges your old cartridges will be fine.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thank you Very much for that.

So its put new cartridges in first then replaice the printhead after.

Then do shed loads of printing to use them up :LaughingTears:

HP Recommended

Thank you Very much for that.

So its put new cartridges in first then replaice the printhead after.

Then do shed loads of printing to use them up

HP Recommended

Did you receive any instructions with the new printhead? The printhead is customer replaceable part and some instructions should be included, just follow them.

If I remember good first you replace printhead then printer prompts you for setup ink cartridges. 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

No Instructions included, just an online video. Says nothing about the spare ink cartridges.

Thanks will try it that way first.

HP Recommended

If the ink level inside your old cartridges isn't enough for printhead initialization printer will inform you for that and will not continue, that is why you get a set of ink cartridges and the instruction video might recommend first to replace ink cartridges.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks all working up and running now. My set of cartridges was large and recently new ones. Im using the new small ones now for now and running them down

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.