Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet T1700DR
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just started a new job as IT Director. Previously, I had been both IT Dir and Graphics Design Mgr, doing both graphics design, prepress, and all things IT.

At my new job, we have a brand new HP Designjet T1700DR. Current staff is not familiar with it and have only made a few poster prints. this device in particular is new to me.

Two Easy (hopefully) questions:

1. The are wondering how we can output more permanent outdoor signs. I see that there's Tyvek substrates (media) available, and supposedly there are UV inksets. Can anyone advise me on how we can output more durable outdoor signs (Current inks are getting slowly eroded off (rain) of the media we use today (not Tyvek).  If the inks aren't outdoor durable, are there sprays you recommend for the outputs that may help make them more permanent? We live in Buffalo. Rain in spring/summer. Snow in winter. Some sun though not enough!) 🙂  We print and then put the output on those foldable (collapsable) sign holders and stick them on our lawn and parking lot entrances. Also on outdoor windows/walls.

2. Can we print on Canvas & Fabrics? are there supported canvas stocks? Again, new to this, but I'm looking for sources for canvas and other fabric types that we can print on. (We are a church and our current graphics designer is an interior designer. She wants to be able to print canvas prints, but also on fabrics to hang from the ceiling. Looking to understand what is officially supported and sources for media (substrates).

Sorry for the n00b questions. But i'd really appreciate you all sharing your knowledge and help (SKUs, part nos, vendors) for what we need.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You have the wrong device.

T1700DR is a printer for technical drawings, CAD, GIS, schematic, thin lines.  A totally different device might cover your needs, but no T1700DR.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Wow. Honestly, that is really eye opening to me. I have been at my new job for about two months. This unit was purchased prior to my arrival for the purposes of doing signage, banners, photo prints etc.

I'm trying to support our graphics designer who is trying to figure out how to print more durable outdoor signs and to print on other substrates.

I had no familiarity with Designjets myself and mistakenly presumed this was  just an entry general purpose large format inkjet printer. Wow, my bad on that assumption about the purpose and use of this device.

HP Recommended

Valsimot is correct that this printer is not the right printer to do professional signage and banners.  Check on the HP website for specifications for paper types supported by this printer and you'll have a list of materials HP recommends to use.  Or if you have the user manual it might have the list in it.  If you don't have a user manual here's  a place you can download a copy:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05914480

Here is a link to the data sheet:

https://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA7-1557ENA.pdf

It makes no mention of using UV ink in this printer so you're limited to dye.  You can do a google search for sprays to help with the fading issue but you might have to look at lamination to prevent ink running.  Don't know if they make a spray for setting the ink.  Check photo supply shops.  If you plan on doing a lot of signage you might consider buying a laminating machine and now you're getting into a bit of investment.  Otherwise you'll have to pay to have them laminated for you.

Heres' the papers they list as useable in this printer:

Media types:  

Bond and coated paper (bond, coated, heavyweight coated, super heavyweight plus matte), technical paper (natural tracing, translucent bond), film (clear, matte), photographic paper (satin, gloss, semi-gloss, matte, high-gloss), backlit, self-adhesive (polypropylene, vinyl) 

This applies to the T1700DR and the T1700DR PS models.

It's an expensive machine so I'm sure your organization would like to get some use out of it.  If it was me, I'd buy a small roll of HP canvas paper and see how it works.  In other words, you might have to experiment and fiddle a bit to see if it will give you acceptable results.  But since you're just making in-house (or in-church in your case) prints that are not going to be sold as professional prints, you should be able to get by.

I used to work for an arts organization and we purchased a T1200, which is also a technical printer for CAD prints, etc. and that's was it's main use.  But we also used it to make prints for use on stage and for temporary signage in the lobbies.  It did very nice photograph reproductions; not as good as a Z series printer but more than acceptable for what we needed.  We printed on just about any paper/material we could get to feed into the printer safely, including newsprint, brown craft paper (butcher paper) and HP canvas, along with the list of media like back-lit materials and self adhesive paper.  But we were always very careful about how we loaded and made sure we weren't doing anything to damage the printer in any way.

I would never try putting a fabric into this or any printer that isn't specifically made for fabrics.  HP Canvas is made for their printers.  Fabric printing is a whole 'nother world.

It's possible, when they bought the printer, there was some miscommunication on what it was going to be used for.  

Good luck.  Let us know how you come out.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.