Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP DesignJet T730 36-in Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I saw another post about this but it was too old to reply too.  My T730 is saying paper not detected.  I replaced the print head because it was the original from 2018 and was leaky but I believe it may have gotten the optical sensor dirty.  I've read that the optical sensor is part of the carriage assembly but can you please tell me exactly where it's located and if I'll have to disassemble anything in order to try cleaning it?  I'm hoping I can do enough cleaning to get it to work without having to replace the entire ink service station.   I've already checked and cleaned the mechanical optical sensor behind the 81/2X11 paper tray.  

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

the sensor is mounted on the carriage assembly, see diagram below (red arrow in diagram below). The problem is that in some cases when the head has leaked it soaks the cleaning brush that is supposed to keep the sensor free of debris (see green arrow). When that happens it is nearly impossible to clean and is not offered as a separate part so you will want to examine the service station closely before starting to save time.

Repairatrooper_0-1657309357320.png

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks much for the reply and picture.  Sorry I'm a total newbie to working on one of these and not at all familiar with it .  What area of the machine was this picture taken, and is this a T730 like mine?  I'm not seeing anything that looks like this in there.  I'm looking at the area around the print head.  Should I be looking somewhere else?   Thanks again

HP Recommended

This picture is from service documentation and what you are seeing is the printer with the right cover removed so that the service station and carriage is visible.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Here's a link to the service manual Repairtrooper was talking about:

https://www.laserexpressinc.com/manuals/HP/hp-dsj-t730-t830-mfp-service-manual.pdf

Taking off the covers isn't difficult.  You'll need some torx head screw drivers.  And be sure to read the instructions carefully before beginning.

Good luck.  Let us know how it comes out.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.