Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP DesignJet Z3100 Photo Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been using the old z3100 driver successfully until Microsofts system update just before Christmas. I thought the problem was that the driver got corrupted during that update. I deleted it and then tried to reinstall, but now I get a red dialog box stating administrator won't let me do that. I was able to revert the system update, which gave me back the driver. But, now I can't make any of the driver settings "stick". I have gone into the "printers & other devices" system settings, entered the driver there, but settings will not stick, even when I hit "apply".   Help!!!!!

Since you have updated the HP Utility, it would seem appropriate that youi at least provide a new driver  for these printers.

John Nollendorfs

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem, and I believe it is due to an update of Windows 10 made fairly recently that prevents the installation of any printer drivers that aren't digitally signed by the manufacturer (i.e., HP).  There previously was a work-around that you could use to install unsigned drivers, but now Windows 10 simply will not allow that to happen under any circumstances (as far as I can determine).  The driver verification process is not simple, and I do not believe that HP will undertake to have the Windows 7 driver (which otherwise would work under Windows 10 if you could install it)  digitally signed.  So, like you, I am unable to install the Win7 (or Win8) drivers on my Win 10 PC.  I get the same redflag "talk to your administrator" error message.  I AM the administrator.  Ugh.  

I've kept an old laptop using Windows 7 to run my HP Designjet Z3100 (which still makes excellent prints, by the way), but it is a real kludge work-around.  

I'm wondering whether anyone has tried making their Windows 10 PC dual-boot with Windows 7, and whether that might allow you to install and run the Z3100 using full capabilities by booting up under Window 7?  I'm not sure my PC would accommodate a dual-boot set-up, and I'd like to have some indication whether that approach might work before undertaking such major surgery on my system.  

HP Recommended

In chat session with HP, they informed me that my Z3100 was no longer supported, and that they would not be updating the driver. 

But did a quick google search for the unsigned driver situation and found this work-around, but have not tried it yet!

To disable driver signature enforcement do the following:
  1. Press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard and click the Restart button.
  2. Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click the Restart button.
  3. When your computer restarts you'll see a list of options.
How to: Disable driver signature enforcement on Windows 10
windowsreport.com/driver-signature-enforcement-windows-10/

John Nollendorfs
HP Recommended

Well that didn't seem to work! I guess the new update disabled that too!

HP Recommended

I am a Microsoft partner and posted on a partner board for help in making the Z3100 work with Windows 10.  Like many others, a 2018 Windows 10 update 'broke my plotter' and has made is difficult to use.

As usual, Microsoft tells me to have HP fix their driver to make it compatible with the recent Windows updates.  And HP says, 'sorry we charged you $7,000 for a machine we no longer support.'

Time to go back to papyrus and quill pen ... or Epson and Canon?  🙂

Here is Microsoft's response:

EL
Ethan LiuMS replied on April 16, 2018

In reply to keithrosenfeld's post on April 16, 2018

Dear Partner,

Thanks for your update.

Based on my research, this issue is caused by the incompatibility of the printer driver with the current Win10 update. I suggest you confirm with the HP printer support team whether they will update the printer driver in the future.

Thank you for your understanding and patience!

Best regards,

Ethan Liu

Microsoft Partner Support Community Technical Support Engineer

Microsoft Global Partner Services

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

HP Recommended

I have been wondering about this before reading your question

I think you might try using the HP Z3200 driver 

Its should be possible though I cant give you detailed instructions right now.

KInd regards 

Peter

HP Recommended

I have just built a new computer with windows 10 and have run into the same problem, Finally solved as follows.

Disable the windows 10 user account control. This allows the installation of the latest windows 7 driver which works as it did on my windows 7 machine.

I was all set to have to use the old W7 machine as a print server but now I can print directly from lightroom on my new build.

HP Recommended
I hope this is generation issue of the PC or laptop due to to you have update your window but update all devices driver that's why it's required update the device driver and can't properly installing printer driver or can't find usb port....system log file. I would like at first update also your PC driver, if possible original or use driver pack and then installed the printer driver from below link.

Driver and firmware link

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-designjet-z3100-photo-printer-series/3204970

Windows 10 driver issue

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-designjet-z3100-photo-printer-series/3204970/document/c04655...

Uninstall issue

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-designjet-z3100-photo-printer-series/3204970/document/c04773...

Full support issue

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-designjet-z3100-photo-printer-series/3204970

I hope it will help and solved.

Regards
Rashed
Regards/Rashed
https://www.linkedin.com/in/rasheddul
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.