Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP Latex 370 Printer

Error code 98:03 popped up yesterday with jet outs. replaced all the print heads 2 days before, was running ok til this (98:03) error popped up. Tried swapping out new printheads with old ones same error lines in same place. I do not a

have an extra set of new printheads to swap out. Do I need to get a another set of printheads or is there another solution.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

SE Code: 98:03 – Potential Print Quality problem. Detected too many nozzles outProblem description:Check PH using the PH status plot.Corrective action:Service engineer:▲Use the printhead status plot to find out which printheads have a massive number of nozzles out, and replace them. See the attached for how to print the test plot.

HP Recommended

For those who are experiencing this error, you or your technician can try the following steps to figure out the origin of the error.

1. Print the printhead diagnostic print as stated above.  If all the lines look solid with very few or no breaks, that means the nozzles are firing as they should.

2. To verify the results you, or your technician can perform a Force Drop Detection from the Service menu in service mode, which will give you the exact number of failing nozzles by printhead.  You should only perform these diagnostics if you are a tech or self-maintainer.  If after performing the test, you find that one of the printheads has more than 20% failing nozzles when comparing the numbers to those in the service manual perform a printhead cleaning. 

3.  Run the test again, and if the cleaning does not improve the situation, replace the failing printhead. 

4.  If it is a new printhead, check the tips of the priming mechanism, and make sure all the rubber pieces are still in place and creating a seal with the printhead.

4.  From the Diagnostics menu menu, run a Carriage PCA test to make sure this board is not failing.  If the Carriage PCA fails , replace the Carriage PCA, and I would recommend replacing the flex cables as well for good measure.

5. If the Carriage PCA passes the tests, then test the EMOD and Trailing Cable to make sure there isn't a fault elsewhere.

This should give you a relatively good idea as to what is happening in your system.

I did not go into major details, because a certified tech will be able to fill in the steps, and have the codes for entering the various service menus.

I've successfully resolved this issue with printhead replacements, or Carriage PCA replacements, and in one case I had to replace both. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.