Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
DesignJet 5500
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am trying to print a large PDF file to my 5500 and I am getting "out of memory" and "data lost" error messages.  I tried using the parallel cable and through the network interface.  I don't know how to check but I assume the printer has the amount of memory that was standard when the printer was new.  The memory issues seem to be related to the printer memory because the computer has lots of memory.

I have a Fiery X2-CP RIP but I have never used it. Do I need to use some sort of RIP to buffer or spool (whatever it's called) the memory between the computer and the printer?

I was trying to print a 63" long image that is 30" wide, the printer will print the entire length but only about 12" wide.

Let me know if you have any questions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can find the firmware on the following link

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=82225&swItemId=pl_59704_5&swEnvOid=228

The 5500 does not have a EEROM reset as the T795.

If you have the HPGL2 driver installed, go to Printing Preferences > Services > Troubleshooting Menu > Check Compatibility with 19-bit app, Send Job as Bitmap.

Question.

On what application was the PDF created?

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I had a similar issue with a HP Designjet T795

Make sure your firmware is up to date.

Clear all the jobs from your job queue at the front panel of the printer.

You can do a secure HDD wipe.

Moving forward, check the settings in your print driver for output DPI of jobs being sent.  This should help with file sizes being sent to the printer for processing.  

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  How do I wipe the hard drive?  Also, the HP support area has downloads for ICC profiles and a generic printer driver but it doesn't have a download for firmware.  I tried the printer browser interface and it has an option for Firmware, but the link doesn't work (if I remember correctly, or maybe it only allows uploading a file).

HP Recommended

Google search will pull up a PDF of the service manual for you.  I am not as familiar with this model for performing tests and calibrations.

The EWS, (IP address in your browser uRL), is used for uploading a firmware file.  Which you should be able to download from HP.com   

You might want to reach out to HP and find out the End of Service Date on your machine.  Usually once they stop offereing updates for the printer, ie firmware and drivers, it means that model has a new version out and the older model is about to become obsolete.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You can find the firmware on the following link

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=82225&swItemId=pl_59704_5&swEnvOid=228

The 5500 does not have a EEROM reset as the T795.

If you have the HPGL2 driver installed, go to Printing Preferences > Services > Troubleshooting Menu > Check Compatibility with 19-bit app, Send Job as Bitmap.

Question.

On what application was the PDF created?

Best regards

Mike G

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the link to the firmware.  This firmware is for the Printer only, correct?  This firmware does not associate with the computer that sends the job to the printer?  The printer drivers relates or associates with the computer but as I understand it, the "firmware" only runs on the printer so even though the firmware is only listed under Windows XP, it should not make any different whether the computer sending the job to the printer is Windows XP or Windows 7 or even a Mac.  Also, the firmware is uploaded through a browser interface so again, the computer operating system should not matter.   Am I understanding this correctly?  I don't want to wreck my printer if using the Windows XP firmware with Windows 7 is going to cause a problem.

Or, is some part of the firmware the "DesignJet System Maintenance" utility?  Do I need this utility?

I am printing a topographic map created with ArcMap software and "exported" to PDF.  The map is made from many vector graphics plus lots of annotations, text, labels, etc.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, you are undestanding correctly and the update should not cause you problems.

Before updating the firmware, try the options on the driver and make sure that your problem is not on the computer. Removing and installing the driver on the computer can help with the problem.

Best regards

Mike G

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay in testing this.  The good news is that I found the print driver settings, but then we had a storm where I live and my power went out.  I will test this evening after I get home from work.

HP Recommended

THANK YOU,    changing the settings for the HPGL2 driver ---- Printing Preferences > Services > Troubleshooting Menu > Check Compatibility with 19-bit app, Send Job as Bitmap

solved the problem.  To reach the settings, I was in Adobe Acrobat and I clicked File > Print > Properties,  the Services tab, the lower half of the Services tab  is labled Troubleshooting Menu and there is a small square with a picture of a hammer on it, click the square.

Alos, on the Paper/Quality tab, on the lower-right under Print Quality, when I checked the box for Optimize for Drawings/Text  the quality was not very good,   I re-printed the map with the box checked for Optimize for Images and it printed perfect.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.