Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

Our office's DJ500ps 42 had two printheads that were out of warranty in 2004 (with some ink that expired anywhere from 2 to 5 years ago), so I went to replace everything and encountered this nuisance.

- replaced cyan and magenta printheads

- new cyan one was fine (2019) while magenta one (2020) wouldn't take

- downloaded Firmware Upgrade Tool A.05.01

- tool said the files transferred to the printer, but nothing showed up on the printer screen

- firmware version remained at A.02.06 (or A.04.02, can't recall), even after power cycling (same as RABAD, initially)

- finally found the latest replies here, downloaded the old driver (thanks, divaddms), installed it on a Windows 7 Enterprise laptop (probably 64-bit), and...!

- it didn't take the new printhead despite the firmware successfully updating to A.05.01 😕

I should note that divaddms's post only led me to a Setup application. It does not download the .fmw files that RABAD was able to swap, sadly (you download it, run the setup wizard, and it upgrades the firmware).

If anyone has the exact file RABAD mentioned, feel free to share it, please! I think that's the printer's only hope or else we'll just send out print jobs and get rid of the behemoth.

EDIT: This was supposed to be a reply in another post. Mods, please move it back.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Metallica, when you run setup, it creates a folder called C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Designjet 500-800 series Firmware Update that contains a "Firmware" folder. If this is not the behavior on your version of Windows, I am not sure what to recommend.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Can you confirm 100% that you have the latest firmware on your printer A.05.01?

You have cleaned contacts both on the printhead and on the carriage?

Maybe you have defective magenta printhead, can you return it and ask for a replacement?

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Valsimot, yes, the firmware is the updated version.

I don't have the special tool needed to clean the carriage contact, but I tried my best and it seems clean. It accepts the old printhead just fine, but not the new one.

Also, this was posted as a reply on an existing thread. I have no clue why this shows as a standalone question. Why did the mods do this?

HP Recommended

I would contact a dealer and ask for printhead replacement, maybe it's defective ( it happens).

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

This tool, on an XP box (although someone said they had success with Win7). Replace the fmw file in the firmware folder with the current one (DJ500_A.05.01.fmw). If the printer does not do the whole display routine with "WAIT FOR blah, blah, blah" then it did not work.

HP Recommended

RABAD, unfortunately, that is the software I downloaded (the one divaddms posted on the fourth page of the previous thread). I download that, unzip the application "HP_Designjet_Firmware_Update_Tool_A.04.02", and then run the unzipped application called "setup" (which leads me to the HP Designjet Firmware Update Utility - Select Printer popup).

There aren't any folders, though, which is where your experience and mine deviate. Any clue what could be the issue? I don't have access to an XP machine in this office, sadly, if that's it 😕

HP Recommended

Metallica, when you run setup, it creates a folder called C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Designjet 500-800 series Firmware Update that contains a "Firmware" folder. If this is not the behavior on your version of Windows, I am not sure what to recommend.

HP Recommended

RABAD, you're the best! I really didn't want to give up on the plotter as the two options were either "print in horrible-looking color" or "send out color print jobs to a third party and pay out the nose for them", so your comments here and in the "main" thread were of invaluable insight.

It's not a long-term solution for the company, but I'm glad to be able to at least give us a buffer until we have one.

Thanks a ton!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.