Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet z5200ps
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I've got a problem with one of my z5200 machines. When I load a roll of paper the following happens;

-Paper feeds into rear path

-Front panel asks if I'm loading a roll or sheet, I select roll

-Paper sensors activate to test the paper alignment, if necessary I re-align the paper

-Carriage moves out to the far left of the machine to prepare to measure the roll width

-As the carriage moves back to the right to measure the with a 79:04 firmware error and the machine halts and I have to power off.

When I load a sheet, similar thing happens, I'm able to select type and the paper is run through the path to test alignment and paper length, as soon as the width measurement takes place, 79:04
I have the latest firmware installed in all my machines so no problem there as far as I know.
Would it be wise to re-install the firmware or is there a specific part that might need some attention?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Roy
Thanks for your suggestions, I did run a few diagnostic tests, all showed as fine (except the paper advance calibration as you have to load paper for that = error happening again...)

I cleaned the encoder strip with a microfibre cloth that had been rinsed in some warm water, did the entire length of the strip - meaning I had to unlock the carriage to move it and access the right side and this has done the trick. Ironically I'd cleaned the strip as per the service manual not long before the error happened, a very odd one. thanks for your time and insight, much appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Can you check the front panel and see what firmware version you have?

Latest appears to be 

File name:

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Yes that's the version I have installed  

HP Recommended

Hi Archiprint-Ed,

The 79:04 is a generic error code that occurs when there is no specific error for the halt. the fix is sometimes FW as the issue may be cleared up in a new version.

As the error appears to always happen when loading roll/sheets then consider all the signals/parts that are active when the error does occur.

The encoder strip, carriage motor, belt, starwheel motor, starwheels, Carriage PCA, paper drive motor, paper drive sensor, etc.

Rule out each one by one via trial and error.

Have you run any diagnostics on the separate subsystems to see if you get any errors during those tests?

Good Luck,

Roy K

HP Recommended

Hi Roy
Thanks for your suggestions, I did run a few diagnostic tests, all showed as fine (except the paper advance calibration as you have to load paper for that = error happening again...)

I cleaned the encoder strip with a microfibre cloth that had been rinsed in some warm water, did the entire length of the strip - meaning I had to unlock the carriage to move it and access the right side and this has done the trick. Ironically I'd cleaned the strip as per the service manual not long before the error happened, a very odd one. thanks for your time and insight, much appreciated. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.