Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy I7 15T-J100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since last week or so, the sound on my laptop switches back and forth between headphones and speakers, making a click sound each time. It happens several times per minute and makes it impossible to listen to music or play a game. When headphones are not plugged in, sound will just switch between speakers and nothing. Since yesterday, I started getting loud bursts of white noise on my headphones. Loud enough to leave my ears hurting for hours.

I have tried with different headphones which all work well wih other devices, but the problem persists.

Any help is welcome

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Masterfeli

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the audio switches from speakers to headphones automatically with excessive white noise,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Is it that none of the headphones work with the HP device?

If one of the headphone does but the other doesn't, you may want to Contact the Headphone manufacturer.

However, if none of the headphones work, I recommend you reinstall the audio card drivers from the device manager and install the latest audio card & Bios updates from the HP website: Click here to find and install the same.

If the issue persists, please Contact HP to have the device repaired:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution".

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

All headphone sets have the same problem with the computer, but not with other devices. The headphones are not the problem

I tried reinstalling the drivers, but it didn't solve the problem

I don't think hp support will help. I had an issue with this same computer last year, and I went to HP support offices. They said that if my pc wasn't under warranty they could do nothing.

I'm sorry for the delay in my answer. I had no connection to the internet for a few days.

Thanks for your efforts

HP Recommended

@Masterfeli

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

In that case, I recommend you attempt a push button reset followed by resetting to factory defaults using the HP Recovery Manager as the last resort before running a hardware test on the sound card and the headphone jack: Click here for details.

If this isn't a hardware issue, the above steps would definitely take care of this, however, if these steps don't do the trick, you may want to replace the sound card/headphone jack from your device:

You could purchase the part from HP, use the HP Parts surfer to identify the part: Click here & order it via the HP Parts store (Click here) or alternatively, You can use the HP Part number at the nearest local or any other online store as its universal number and order it via the local stores.

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It seems to be a hardware issue, but thanks a lot for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.