Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
DC7600
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi all - I have 2 dc7600 machines and one of the hard drives has failed.  Bought a new HD, formatted and  copied my i386 and Comaq folders from the good machine and then reinstalled 32 bit XP SP2 operating system from my original CD - all working

3 drivers were not installed so pointed system device manager to the relevant Compaq folders and got 2 of drivers working.  However, there is a PCI driver I cant get operational 

Have established the PCI device is an Intel 27D8 HD audio controller for the NM10 chapter 7 chipset.  When I go to the device manager and navigate to sound, video and audio controllers, select Intel in Manufacturer, there's a list of Intel AC97 drivers  (AC97 cross refs to Realtek which is the manufacturer of the audio device in the Compaq directory).  However, the system warns me it cant verify if any are compatible.  Thus, I select "have a disc", browse to the Compaq audio folder but it it claims the specified location does not contain info about the hardware. (although INF files do exist there). Dxdiag confirms no sound or device or drivers installed.  I also tried booting the application in the Realtek folder but it doesn't run

I then downloaded Realtek and on board audio drivers (which I presume to be the PCI device) from this HP site and  saved to C but got same

message when I tried the above again.  I had guessed it may be the on-board that's the issue so was hopeful with latter download but no success

Run out of options - any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try copying the two folders described to flash and then try to install the driver letting XP search them

Driver locations in XP | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Using network share: On the  XP system that is working set the windows folder to share,

On the system missing the driver have it browse that shared  folder looking in the INF folder first.  It is possible the INF folder will be hidden I don't remember but you can just unhide it

why don't you install windows 10 or 11, 64 bit. there's no need to buy a license and activate, you just have to put up with a nag screen

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disadvantages-and-limitations-of-unactivated-windows

Linux Mint is super easy to use it should work fine

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

HP Recommended

Thanks for this input - problem with network share is no network.  I've never connected the machines to the net to preserve them

Problem with moving to inactivated W10/11 is that none of my old software will run - and that's the reason for staying with XP

HP Recommended

Try copying the two folders described to flash and then try to install the driver letting XP search them

Driver locations in XP | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

HP Recommended

Thanks for this advice - moving the driver and INF files to the windows directories as advised worked well.  It remains a mystery why pointing to the INF file in device manager didn't!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.