Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY All-in-One - 27-b145se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this product two weeks ago and the microphone will mysteriously stop working out of no reason.

I tried to look at the Property page of Microphone, and in the Level tab there is a little icon showing that my microphone is set as mute. However I could never unmute it as the mute button cannot be selected to unmute.

But sometimes when I restart the computer the mute icon will return back to normal and I can control it as mute/unmute.

This is really annoying as I do not know when my microphone is gonna work. I wonder if someone has the same problem or could anyone offer some help?

Thanks so much!

Donald

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ntntnt

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand there's an issue with the microphone,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you attempt to reinstall the audio drivers?

Or update the BIOS to make a difference?

While you respond to that, here's what I recommend you do:

Updating the audio driver can resolve many microphone issues. Use the following steps to check for and install audio driver updates:

1. Connect to the Internet.

2. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

3. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.

4. Right-click the name of the sound hardware and select Update Driver Software.

Figure : Update Driver Software option in Device Manager

Update Driver Software option in Device Manager
  5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software and wait for Windows to update the driver software.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried to reinstall the audio driver but the problem still remains.

Sorry can you offer some further assistance?

Thank you so much!

Donald

HP Recommended
Delete/uninstall all audio drivers entirely, then download ALL of them from the internet driver site, (they will install) then after they're all installed and you have deleted the old ones you can restart your comp. and the settings will stick, and the mute problem disappears. Had to do it twice after a severe systems failure straight out of the box SMH. HP technology is a joke and Microsoft blows.
HP Recommended

Hello there, 

I was facing the same problem and the sulotion is:

Open your camera which is hidden into your screen. you need to keep it open to unmute your microphone. when you close it, it will be muted again.

this is a stupid security 🙂 to keep you away from hacking your camera and microphone.

hope that work, good luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.