Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Omen Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I don't know what happened or why, but the audio jack on my laptop is not functioning properly - actually it's not functioning at all. Every time I plug a set of headphones into it - and I mean any set of headphones - I hear a brief audio fuzz, followed by an abrupt clicking noise. After I hear that noise through whatever set of headphones I have plugged in, no sound comes out of either side of the headphones. Can anyone tell me the possibilities of what might have happened and possible ways to fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@PeterSGodfrey,

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums.  After reading your post I see that you need assistance regarding issues with audio not being heard from the audio port using multiple headphones.” It will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this occur after a recent Software or Windows update?
  • Please let me know the complete model# or product# of the computer to assist you better.

For now, try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Then check the box delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link: https://hp.care/2syreDe and select the country and type the product# of the computer.
  • Then follow the on-screen instructions and ensure to select the correct operating system for installing the drivers.
  • Then check if the situation has been corrected.

If it persists, you could try these steps:

• Later, make sure that the latest version of HP support assistant is installed on the computer.
  • Then make sure to run all HP updates using HP support assistant
  • Please ensure that Windows 10 is updated completely and run all Windows 10 updates.

Then perform these steps:
  • Right-click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select 'Playback Devices'.
  • Left click the default device once to highlight it ( it's usually 'speakers & headphones' ) then click the Properties button.
  • Click the Enhancements tab and put a tick in the box next to 'Loudness Equalization'.
  • Click Apply to save the change and then click OK in all remaining windows and see if this has helped.

Now check for issue resolution.

If the issue continues, try these steps:

Right-click on the “Volume icon” in the bottom right corner.

b) Select “Recording devices”.

c) Under the “Recording” tab right click on the white empty space and check the box that says, “Show disabled devices” and “Show disconnected devices”.

d) Right click on “Stereo Mix” and “Enable” this device.

e) Highlight “Stereo Mix”, click on “Properties” and go to the “Listen” tab.

f) Check the box "Listen to this device", also change the drop-down box below "Playback through this device" to be your second audio device.

g) To verify that you've done this correctly, go back to the sound dialog tab “Playback”, you should now see both of your audio devices showing the little green graphs moving.

This should do the trick for you.

• The audio, bios and chipset driver updates and Windows updates are very important. Please ensure to run these updates as mentioned.
  • Please ensure that HP support assistant updates are also installed by running HP Support assistant and checking for updates.

Perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. Good luck to you. I will keep a watch for your response.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

So, I just disabled and re-enabled the audio driver installed to my laptop and now the audio jack is working perfectly. Still no idea what might have happened and how I can keep myself from repeating that mistake.

HP Recommended

@PeterSGodfrey,

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums.  After reading your post I see that you need assistance regarding issues with audio not being heard from the audio port using multiple headphones.” It will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this occur after a recent Software or Windows update?
  • Please let me know the complete model# or product# of the computer to assist you better.

For now, try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Then check the box delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link: https://hp.care/2syreDe and select the country and type the product# of the computer.
  • Then follow the on-screen instructions and ensure to select the correct operating system for installing the drivers.
  • Then check if the situation has been corrected.

If it persists, you could try these steps:

• Later, make sure that the latest version of HP support assistant is installed on the computer.
  • Then make sure to run all HP updates using HP support assistant
  • Please ensure that Windows 10 is updated completely and run all Windows 10 updates.

Then perform these steps:
  • Right-click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select 'Playback Devices'.
  • Left click the default device once to highlight it ( it's usually 'speakers & headphones' ) then click the Properties button.
  • Click the Enhancements tab and put a tick in the box next to 'Loudness Equalization'.
  • Click Apply to save the change and then click OK in all remaining windows and see if this has helped.

Now check for issue resolution.

If the issue continues, try these steps:

Right-click on the “Volume icon” in the bottom right corner.

b) Select “Recording devices”.

c) Under the “Recording” tab right click on the white empty space and check the box that says, “Show disabled devices” and “Show disconnected devices”.

d) Right click on “Stereo Mix” and “Enable” this device.

e) Highlight “Stereo Mix”, click on “Properties” and go to the “Listen” tab.

f) Check the box "Listen to this device", also change the drop-down box below "Playback through this device" to be your second audio device.

g) To verify that you've done this correctly, go back to the sound dialog tab “Playback”, you should now see both of your audio devices showing the little green graphs moving.

This should do the trick for you.

• The audio, bios and chipset driver updates and Windows updates are very important. Please ensure to run these updates as mentioned.
  • Please ensure that HP support assistant updates are also installed by running HP Support assistant and checking for updates.

Perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. Good luck to you. I will keep a watch for your response.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

DavidSMP, thank you very much. This situation happened again and I followed the steps you recommended. Works perfectly now!

HP Recommended

@PeterSGodfrey,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution.  You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello David,

Greetings from Bengaluru, India. I have a problem. I have a Star Wars Special Edition Windows 10 laptop purchased three years ago. Since the last few months, the headphone jack has become very loose. Because of the loose contact, none of the headphones work well. I just manage to fir the headphone pin by trial and error till it works and ensure that there is no movement at all near the jack.

I showed it to a Service Centre and they said that since the earphone jack is integrated with the motherboard itself has to be changed. That is very expensive.

Can you give me some idea on how it can be reolved? Can we not solder a new earphone jack?

Kindly guide and oblige.

Thank you.

Sridhar J

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.