Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power Desktop - 580-023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey, so ive been using my xbox mic to play csgo since august, it just plugs right into the 3.5mm headphone jack on the front and ive had no issues with it up until last night, i had been using it all day then i hopped off for about 3 hours and tried using it again and all of the sudden the computer wont pick up my mic, it will play sound through the headset and i can hear but i cant talk as well as it will play my ingame sound through the mic, so if i start shooting and am in a discord voice chat my friends just hear loud gunshots. Any possible solutions? Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully thank you for helping me find a solution!

Solutions already tried:

Restarting desktop

Updating drivers

Trying different headsets (same issue)

Making sure the mic still works (made phone call with it just fine)

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ZenTe

Welcome to HP support community.

Update the audio driver

1. Connect to the Internet.

2. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

3. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.

4. Right-click the name of the sound hardware, and then select Update Driver.

Update Driver option in Device Manager

5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software, and then wait for Windows to update the driver software.

Updated Driver Software: Search automatically for updated driver software

6. Windows checks to see if updated driver software is available.

If an update is available, let Windows install the update.

7. When the update is installed successfully, a Windows has finished installing the driver software for this device window displays.

Test the microphone.

Use the Troubleshooting tool

1. In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.

2. Click Troubleshooting.

3. Under Hardware and Sound, click Troubleshoot audio recording.

NOTE: 

Administrator permission is required to run this program. If prompted, type the administrator password or provide confirmation.

Troubleshoot audio recording

4. The Sound troubleshooter opens. Click Next. The troubleshooter begins checking the audio service status.

Select device to troubleshoot

5. Select the device you want to troubleshoot, and then click Next.

6. Follow the on-screen instructions and make any changes suggested by the troubleshooter. When done, close the troubleshooter.

Configure the sound settings in Windows

1. Connect the microphone to the computer.

2. In Windows, search for and open Sound.

3. Click the Recording tab in the Sound window.

Recording tab in the Sound window

4. In the list of devices, find the microphone that you want to use.

If the microphone is not listed, use the following steps to show disabled and disconnected devices:

1. Right-click an empty area of the Sound window.

2. Click Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.

Disabled and disconnected devices shown in the Sound window

3. If the microphone is listed as Currently unavailable or Not plugged in, disconnect it, and then reconnect it to the port.

If the device you want to use contains a small circle with an arrow pointing down, the device is disabled. To enable the device, right-click the device name, and then select Enable.

5. Select the microphone you want to use, and then click Set Default to make this device the default audio input device.

Set Default option in the Sound window

6. With the device still selected, click Properties.

7. In the Properties window, click the Levels tab.

Levels tab

8. If the Mute button  is on, click it to unmute. The volume button should display as a blue speaker icon  .

9. Use the slider bar to raise the volume level to at least 75.

10. If Microphone Boost is available, adjust it to +20.0 dB.

11. Click OK to save changes.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried all of these solutions and to no avail. The headphone jack will pick up the headset but only the audio part of it, not the mic. So even going into the recording section it just says that no mic is plugged in.

HP Recommended

@ZenTe

This seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.