Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Recline 23-k230na TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently started to work from home, but I am finding that when I plug in a set of headphones in to the combined headphone/mic jack, only the headphone speakers are recognised but not the input microphone. I've been through all of the trouble shooting, downloaded the recommended drivers from the HP support site but regardless of what I do, only the internal PC mic is recognised rather than the one in the headset. I've tried the headset on my surface pro 6 and it works exactly as required, but not on my desktop computer for some reason. Any ideas how to fix this?

• When I plug the headphones in (there's just one socket for both mic and headphones) - the output device is recognised as 'Communication Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio Codec) which is correct

• The input device says Microphone (IDT High Definition Audio Codec) which I believe is wrong. The only other option in this list is Stereo mix.

The driver presently installed is 'Tempo - 6.10.6504.0'

Any advice you can give to resolve this would be great!

Regards

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I’ve managed to solve this by using the system restore function. When you run the program it allows you to install the original drivers that came with the pc, so I reinstalled the original sound card driver (windows must have updated it at some point) and this did the trick! 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@mike2939 wrote:

...The input device says Microphone (IDT High Definition Audio Codec) which I believe is wrong. The only other option in this list is Stereo mix.

@mike2939 

It does not know your head set therefore it use Default microphone. That should be the right mic input otherwise you need to find a driver for your headset and install to your machine. What does it say on your Surface ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I agree it definitely doesn't seem to recognise the microphone input on the headphones but it does recognise the speakers.

When I insert the headset in to my Surface Pro 6 it shows the input as 'Headset Mic (Realtek)' which is similar to what I would expect on the desktop. I've visited the website for the headphones and there are no drivers listed so have emailed them to see if they can offer any support/guidance, although I believe the problem is with the drivers for the soundcard. 

HP Recommended

I’ve managed to solve this by using the system restore function. When you run the program it allows you to install the original drivers that came with the pc, so I reinstalled the original sound card driver (windows must have updated it at some point) and this did the trick! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.