Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. So far, the replies have been nonsense. What is with this one. Redirect the OP to Microsoft forums then ask if that solved the problem. Purlease. Is that a joke reply.?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @qprdude ,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Barachiel is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? 

In the meantime, please try the steps mentioned below:

If you want to disable the sound:

• Press the Windows + W keys, and type Sound into the search field.
  • Select Sound from the search results.
  • On the Playback tab of the Sound window, double-click Speakers / Headphones.
  • On the General tab of Speakers / Headphones Properties, select Don't use this device (disable) from the Device usage drop-down near the bottom of the window.
  • Click OK

If you do this, even the headphones will be disabled. 🙂

If you want to disable the internal speakers while connecting the headphones:

Connect the headphones or the external speaker's 3.5 mm jack tot he rear port where it says speaker output. Now, the audio will play through headphones/external speakers, and the internal speakers will be disabled.

Follow this link and refer "Back I/O ports" under "I/O Ports" . It is referred as number "5". 🙂

Let me know how that pans out.

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help. 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I have tried all of the suggested solutions and have come to the conclusion that the guy who fixed my laptop and reloaded Win 10 a couple of months ago has broken or disconnected something from the headphones jack (He broke a lid hinge and accused me of dropping the machine!)

What I would like to know is, if I buy a set of USB headphones, are they plug and play? and more importantly, will they cancel the sound from the internal speakers. My owner (wife) ,does not like the same music as me and I need to be able to listen to my stuff through headphones with the laptop speakers remaining silent.  No point in buying USB headphones that won't cancel the internal speakers, like my 3.5 jack phones used to do before the repair man ruined it. 

It's not possible for me to go on living without my music and I probably won't go on living if she who must be obeyed has to listen to any more of my rock collection.

Thanks for any help.

HP Recommended

Hi @qprdude ,

Thanks for your response, and I appreciate all your efforts. 🙂

Yes, you can try an usb headphones which should normally disable the internal speakers when connected via usb port.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am a little confused - the instructions for connecting headphones inplies that the internal speakers in my HP Envy 23-C022A computer will be disabled when the headphones are connected.  This is not the case - both the speakers and the headphones work together, thus defeating the purpose of headphones.  There seems to be some suggestion that this problem has been caused by an update to Windows10 - I cannot confirm this as I have only just tried the headphones.  I would have thought that the connecting of headphones or external speakers would have mechanically disabled the internal speakers as happens with molst audio equipment.  Any advice will be much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Thanks Saltgrass for your reply.

I have a single (stereo) audio plug.  I have tested the audio using working headphones and neither plugging into the side panel on the all-in-one computer or the rear panel will stop the internal speakers working.  When I go into the Windows sound settings, there is no way that I can see to mute the internal speakers and leave the external audio output working.  This has only become a problem relatively recently.  It had been working perfectly for 4 years before which leads me to think that a Windows 10 update has caused the issue.

I have gone onto the HP forums and they categorically say that plugging in the external speakers kills the internal audio which is NOT what is happening to me at the moment.  I have tested all the cables and plugs on other equipment and they are all working properly.  It looks like no-one has a solution so I may have to put up with the tinny internal speakers going in tandem with the external sound system unless I can physically cut the cable to the two internal speakers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.