Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy All-in-one 32 a0050
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there any way to adjust the HDMI In audio  level from the keyboard on a HP Envy All-in-one 32 a0050 ?  For other models it seems pressing Enter brings up the OSD but this does not appears to work on this model.  There is a physical switch on the bottom of the display which brings up the OSD.  But this is difficult to use, keyboard would be much better. Also the physical switch seems to be delicate and not designed to be used  repeatedly all the time as a volume control for watching Netflix. Is there some handshake on the keyboard to bring up and control the OSD for HDMI In audio volume?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@chortlemortal If your keyboard has an Fn function key, you may be able to use the same to adjust the volume level of the HDMI audio, however, if you don't have any multimedia keys, you will need to manually use the volume control to adjust the same, this is how the AIO is designed to work.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes the keyboard that comes with the AIO has three F-keys (mute,vol+, vol-).  No these keys do not do anything when HDMI in is selected.  So the multimedia keys are not working in this mode of operation.

If you click on the desktop and select "HP Display control" in the advanced mode you can get at most of the functions in the OSD as well as being able to select the HDMI input.  I think the design is shortsighted in not including the HDMI in volume among all the settings.  It is a blemish on an otherwise wonderful machine.  

Also you can use Ctrl+Shift++S+D to control the switching into and out of the HDMI input mode.  It would make sense to use Ctl+Shift+S+up_arrow/down_arrow  to adjust the volume in HDMI mode, or just get the multi function keys to adjust the volume in HDMI-In modes. (Technically there are two things here, HDMI input level control and speaker volume output control.  But neither of them are controllable in the  HDMI input mode except by reaching under the monitor and fiddling  with that difficult to use and seemingly fragile switch that brings up and uses the OSD).

Since you are an HP Employee it would be good to forward my suggestions to  the Product Manager and the Engineering manager.  This unit is a new design, I think this is a use case that they overlooked in their design.

HP Recommended

@chortlemortal Perhaps, you can try the below steps to get the multimedia keys working:

Try each of the Methods below in order, testing the keys after each method. Proceed to the next method if the problem still occurs.

Method 1: Try a different USB Port

Connect the keyboard to a different USB port, and then check the behavior of the keyboard. (This method tests for port-specific issues.)

Note Bypass any port replicators, USB hubs, KVM switches, and so on. Connect the receiver directly to a port on the computer.

Method 2: Disable or uninstall any previously installed keyboard software

Disable any other keyboard control software installed on this computer and then try reassigning the keys.

For more information about how to assign functions to keys, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

237179 Assign macro or function to keys on your keyboard, If the problem persists, remove any keyboard software on your computer.

Method 3: Restart the HID Human Interface Service:

1. click Start, click Run, type services.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. In the list of services in the Details pane, double-click HID Human Interface Service, and then make sure that the Startup type is set to Automatic.

Method 4: Test on a different computer

If the issue persists, test the keyboard with a different computer.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Riddle_Decipher, might I respectfully suggest that you go to your manager and ask for training on the HP ENVY All-in-One - 32-a050 CTO.  It seems clear to me that you have never seen one and have no idea what the problem is and what I am talking about.  It seems to me that you have cut and paste generic solutions for a keyboard problem which have nothing to do with what  I am talking about.  The most laughable of the three solutions is that it might be a USB port!  Of course the panel is not connected into  a USB port as you will find out if you take the time to educate yourself on the product.  The other solutions are equally inappropriate.  They are a good approach to looking at a keyboard connectivity problem.  Alas, that is not the problem here.

The keyboard works fine.  When the unit is running in Win10 mode of operation it can easily adjust the volume of playback on the integrated Bang and Olufson HP Envy sound bar.  In  fact the keyboard can also control the volume on my iphone by pressing one key on the keyboard,  Pretty good.

The problem is that in HDMI Input mode, when for all I know win10 is suspended or asleep, I cannot adjust the volume.  The only keyboard action that I can see that works is pressing CTL/SHIFT/S/D .  I presume this is handled by an FPGA or suchlike and does not get anywhere near a win10 operating system driver.  If there is any more functionality on the keyboard in HDMI Input mode, please let me know.

I am pretty exasperated by the response from HP.  If there is anyone else out there who has actual knowledge of this product I would like to hear from them.

brgds.... David Casper (aka ChortleMortal)

HP Recommended

@chortlemortal I'm afraid that's the only set of steps I could get my hands on as there's nothing much in the user guide or any other HP article (the feedback for the same has been shared with the relevant team), and since that's not helpful, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey Chortlemortal,

i totally feel you. I have the same machine and i'm pretty annoyed from hp.

1) You can`t buy the adhesive Tape to close the pc if you would like to open it

2) They don`t really get what problem you have and this sounds familiar

I can't really contribute to your problem, but would you  mind test a thing for me?

I also got problems regarding HDMI IN and i would like to know if i am the only one.

a) Use the Envy 32 with a HDMI IN connected Device (the device must be connected!)

b) Start the PC itself and shut it down afterwards (no reboot, just shutdown)

c) Start the PC again

d) Does WIFI work flawlessly?

c) Is the eventlog full of errors regarding a not correctly shut down machine?

Thank you very much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.