Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 32 All-In-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Less then two weeks old and suddenly no audio.

I have run HP Support Assistant and Audio Diagnostics.  Also HP Hardware Diagnostics and Windows Diagnostics and unable to get audio back.  Windows does report Audio Services not Responding.

Running Windows 10 2004.  Audio was working after the update.

June 29th Update....

Ran UFEI Test and audio test was successful,

Ran HP Hardware Diagnostic Windows, Component audio test failed and troubleshooting did not resolve.

Open HP Support Assistant and ran audio diagnostics with no success.

Ran Windows Sound Troubleshooting and keep getting "Audio Services Not Responding"  It could not correct and there were no other issues found.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I had exactly the same issue on my 'HP ENVY All-in-One 32-a0012na' today. All of a sudden I went back to my PC after being away and no sound from within Windows. The B&O bluetooth speaker would work fine streaming music from an iphone, so it's wasn't hardware related, it was likely a Windows/Realtek driver issue.

I was going to re-download the Realtek drivers from the HP website but had already started a restore using 'Acronis Trueimage', so I never got the chance to see if it would work. However, after rolling back my Windows folder to yesterday morning (I do a back up at 0900 every day), it rebooted and the sound was back. I think this confirms that the issue is driver related within Windows and nothing to do with a hardware failure.

Are you able to do a System Restore back to a time when you had sound? If not, deleting and re-installing the Realtek drivers from HP might work... Good Luck! 🤞

HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing your issue and solution.  Sorry I didn't reply sooner as I was out of town for a week.

I did do a roll back and the audio did come back.  Within a couple of days the audio then disappeared again.  I've tried everything I could do with HP and Window diagnostics and internet solutions to no avail.   

Regards,

Laverne

HP Recommended

I've got the same problem.  Ran all the same diagnostics with no luck.  I just got the system a few days ago.  I'm sure it had audio initially, but some firmware, os, or other update may have affected it.  Of course, I don't have any  restore point to restore from yet.  So, so far, I'm out of luck.

Oddly, the BIOS sound check produces tones (not actually sure if it came from the B&O speakers cause I didn't think to check) and Bluetooth from phone to the speakers work.  So the speakers themselves are good, but somehow the OS doesn't see them.

HP Recommended

Bryan_D,

Now that your sound is working, what does your device manager show you for "Sound, Video and Game Controllers"?  Here's mine:

devman.png

My machine still says it can't find an audio device.

Shame to have these nice speakers and not be able to use them less than a week from getting it.

HP Recommended

@Mtiede

These are the devices that show within my system settings. The WH-1000XM3 belong to my Sony noise cancelling headphones, the iPhone ones are obvious and the Youcam8 belongs to some additional webcam software. I have highlighted the default system devices in the snipshot below:

Sound.JPG

Is your Realtek Audio set as the default output device when you 'right-click' the speaker icon in the taskbar? My sound wasn't there even though I had it selected as default until I did a system restore. If your system is only a week or so old, or you don't have any suitable Windows Restore points saved, why not consider a reset to factory default settings? It may save you a lot of messing about - you could then take manual control of your Windows and HP Support Assistant updates rather than have the system install them automatically; this would allow you to note which update affects the realtek audio. Good Luck!

HP Recommended

Bryan_D,

I can't see your snapshot.  It only shows a Triangle like this:

mtiede_0-1596543608248.png

... time passes ...

Okay, as soon as I posted, your image showed.  Never mind....   🙂

HP Recommended

I'll look up how to do a factory reset.  Unless you know how to do it?

... time passes ...

Found it in settings.

HP Recommended

I had to look it up again myself - Factory reset instructions from HP HERE .

HP Recommended

Yay!  I have sound again.  Of course, I'll have to set up all my mail accounts, etc. etc. again.  But hey, it works again.

So dumb that some update somewhere busted it.  Time to make a restore point...

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.