Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy All-In-One 27-b2XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In the last couple of days, I've lost audio on my HP Envy All-In-One. I've run the audio trouble-shooter multiple times, and it cannot determine the problem. Device Manager says I have no driver installed for the "Intel High Definition Audio" device. The HP Support Assistant app tells me to install an audio driver update for the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver version 6.0.8710.1 (SoftPaq number sp98196), and I've tried it multiple times. It runs, unpacks files, and then launches some cmd prompt which quickly goes away and I'm stuck with the same problem. 

Wouldn't you guess, my warranty expired about a month ago.

I'm running WIndows Home 64-bit version 18632.295. Windows Update says I have all the latest drivers. I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think I have the solution -- I just encountered and fixed this problem.

Quick answer:  The driver's on HP's page are a list of one Realtek HD audio application & driver installer, and all the rest are just driver pushes -- the problem is tied into the driver application plus driver, so you need the original package

======
Full solution guide:

0. Note: Upgrading from Win 10 1903 to 1909 did NOT fix the problem.

1. In my Device manager I had it show hidden entries (View -> Show Hidden Devices).  It listed Intel High Definition Audio, as well as two similar hidden entries, and an entry in the ACPI section. I removed all of those.

2. Uninstall from Apps -> "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver", you may need to use a tool like RevoUninstaller to accomplish this as the uninstaller may be broken. C:\Program Files\Realtek\ should now be empty.

3. Go to your HP's Software & Drivers page and under "Driver-Audio" don't download the latest package for your Win10 build, -- that is just a push of the latest drivers, not a full driver install package. Instead you're going to need to get the original driver set
(e.g. for my HP ENVY All-in-One - 27-b214  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-27-b200-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/193905...
I downloaded Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver 6.0.1.8560 Rev.A sp92732.exe https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp92501-93000/sp92732.exe)

4. Run the installer and reboot when done. You should now have audio.

5. (optional) You could now go back to your driver support page download and install the latest driver push package specified for your Win 10 build. In theory Windows Updates may do that for you later, but I'm not certain.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

It looks like you updated to Windows 10, version 1903.

A different forum member whom is really good with driver problems may provide a solution.

It is hard to provide granular Windows 10 driver support using the product number (AIO 27-B2xx) you are providing. Also don't know if you need Intel audio drivers or Realtek audio drivers. The forum needs to know this to help.

The Intel High Def audio driver may not be causing the problem unless you are using HDMI audio (you have a monitor with speakers and this is your primary audio output). Having the correct Intel HDMI audio driver is required in this instance.

Try updating the Intel High Def audio driver in Device Manager.

Try removing the current Realtek High def audio driver in Control Panel Device Manager if you are using Desktop speakers for audio output.

Select "remove Realtek audio drivers from the PC" if this prompt appears.

Restart the system.

See if Windows 10 update will give you better Intel HDMI or Realtek audio drivers after a system restart.

Regards

HP Recommended

I had the same problem (HP Envy All-In-One) after running the HP Support Assistant which attempted to install a new driver for the Intel HD Audio but failed and left me with no driver installed.  Windows Device Manager couldn't find a device driver which is a Realtek device so I ended up having to reimage my system which I had backed up only two days earlier.  Today during the HP Support Chat (mine is a brand new machine), the tech ran thru the HP Support Assistant updates again and had no problems with the Intel HD Audio driver installation.  All I could see that he did different is that during the process which is conducted outside of the HP Support Assistant (it downloads a separate program for the driver update), at the end the process it asks if the installation was successful, he checked YES whereas I was always checking " I don't know "which was a valid answer in my mind.  Why Windows, that great non-deterministic operating system, fails sometimes and works the next day is the mystery of the universe.  All I can suggest is that you try uninstalling the Intel HD Audio device in the Device Manager and then running the HP Support Assistant.  How many reboots you add into the process is your best guess.  You might try the DOS command  > sfc /scannow command within the Windows PowerShell (admin) by right clicking on the Windows icon in the lower left of the display and at the Windows PowerShell > prompt typing in  SFC /scannow.  It has fixed unknown mysteries for me.  Note it will take a few minutes to check the OS but does give a progress display in the DOS window (or at least that is what us old guys still call it).  Another command you might try at the command prompt is DISM  /online  /cleanup-image  /scanhealth  which is another mystery fix-it tool I've used.  I asked the HP Tech why driver update worked for him and failed for me just 24 hours earlier but didn't really have a specific response - only Mr. Gates knows I guess.  Of course the bottom line is always have a good set of backups since reimaging the system has saved me a few times.  I have never gotten the System Restore to work for me and the restore points are suppose to roll back to the previous device driver if the restore point was created prior to the device driver update.  That is one thing I noticed during the remote session with HP, was that the tech was commanding a restore point prior to every move he made.  You might look to see if you have a restore point that was created before the audio driver went south.

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem and literally my warranty expired last month. Mine says that it can't detect an audio output device or microphone

HP Recommended

It wasn't the hardware but a convoluted software problem evidenced by the audio driver getting lost.  Read my previous post although I forget the specific details from so far back.  Initially I was able to get everything going by using my Windows image backups.

HP Recommended

Hi! After trying the suggestions of the other users here, I found the following solution that worked on my Envy All-in-one 27-b2XX:

1. Try to install the Realtek Hi-Def HDAudio Driver from HP Support Assistant - it fails, irrespective of what you say at the end. Reboot (just in case)

2. GO to Device Manager and right-click on the unworking audio device and select Disable Device. Reboot (as a good habit)

3. Go to Device Manager and right-click on the now disabled device and select Install Driver. Tell Windows to look for the device on the local drive, not windows update or internet, and select c:\ as path, so it looks in all folders (I never bothered checking where HP Support Assistant unzips the driver. Windows will find it and will install it. Reboot.

4. The sound works perfectly, the B&O volume control works, HP Support Assistant says no updates needed. I am a happy customer. Device Manager says the driver installed for Speakers Realtek High Definition Audio SST is a Microsoft ver 10.0.18362.1 of 18 March 2019.

The day after (today 8 December 2019) HP Support Assistant says there's a new driver available for Realtek HD Audio. May be it solves the problem so it does not appear in the first place, I haven't checked.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion, but this did not work for me. When I choose to install the new driver, searching c:\ and with "include subfolders" checked, it still does not find the new driver. In device manager, my device is listed as "Intel High Definition Audio".

The HP Updater still fails to install the Realtek HD audio driver update that it lists. Other updates that appeared today for WiFi and LAN drivers installed just fine though.

I'm pretty fed up at this point. This is the last time I buy a consumer-grade HP computer. I paid way too much for this to be rendered useless by required updated ~1 year after I bought it.

HP Recommended

… and now, after several more restarts and attempts running the new driver update, the driver update has apparently succeeded, but I STILL have no audio. The HP Audio Troubleshooter tells me no audio device is actually installed, and the speaker icon in my taskbar has a red X on it. Device Manager still says there is no driver installed for the Intel High Definition  Audio device, and searching both my local drive and the internet cannot find a driver.

$1700 piece of junk.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem at the moment.  The audio randomly stopped working when I went away from the computer for a couple of hours.  It looks like the drivers for the Audio device have been removed, but I haven't been able to find the right driver to put back on.  However, if I use Bluetooth headphones, I can hear sound without any problems, so the computer is capable of outputting sound still.

HP Recommended

I had to subscribe to the hp service tech subscription and it took the tech over an hour to fix it with remote access. It costs 15 bucks a month, they are Indian and rude. The problem is HP's updates and windows updates aren't compatible said my tech guy which sounds like we shouldn't have to pay for the solution but I don't believe it was a coincidence it happened a month out of warranty either. It was worth the 15 dollars and hour to get it taken care of. Before you do windows updates make sure all of your hp updates are finished. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.