Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 24ea 23.8-inch Display with Built-in Audio
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I just puchased a HP 24ea white monitor. I connected it to Macbook Pro / macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 via HDMI cable. 

Thhere is no sound out of built-it speakers. I set the value to max on the monitor and to HDMI under Audio Control. 

However, the sound only plays with Pioneer Rayz headphones connected to Macbook via USB-C or with Apple earphones connected to audio jack. Monitor speakers do not work, when headphones/earphones are out. 

Please advise how to get sound out of monitor speakers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @AffluentMaster, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues playing audio from the monitor speakers.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on the monitor?

Are you able to hear audio using headphones or speakers?

Have you tried checking with a different HDMI cable?

Please share the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned you have issues playing audio from the monitor speakers.

Please try the steps recommended below.

To enable sound from the monitor's speakers, connect one end of an audio cable (not included) to the
audio-in jack on the monitor and the other end to the audio-out jack on the source device.

To enable sound from a headset, plug in the headset to the audio-out jack on the monitor.
NOTE: To adjust the speaker volume, press the volume button on the front bezel of the monitor or press the
Menu button to open the OSD. In the OSD, select Management > Audio Control > Volume. Use the plus (+) and
minus (-) controls to adjust the volume.

If the built-in speakers on the monitor do not produce sound, perform each step that follows, testing for sound after each step, until you can hear sound:

1. Close the software program you are using that is missing sound. Test for audio using another software program.

If the sounds are normal when using other software programs, the issue is with the software on the computer, and not the speakers in the monitor. If sound is missing from other software, continue using this procedure.

2. Check the cable connection. If the monitor-to-computer connection is a VGA cable (usually blue on both ends), an additional audio cable is needed between the monitor and the computer. Check that the audio cable is connected properly.

3. Try to adjust the volume higher using the monitor front-panel volume button.

4. Using the buttons on the monitor, navigate through the onscreen display (OSD) menu to find audio or speaker settings and enable the speakers.

5. Adjust the volume higher in Windows from the computer. Click the volume icon from the taskbar (lower right corner of the screen next to the time), and raise the volume to about 75%.

6. If the monitor is connected to a computer using an HDMI cable, the HDMI connection can be used for audio as well as video. Ensure HDMI audio is selected as the main audio output in the operating system (for example, Windows Audio Properties in Control Panel). For more information on this subject, please read Using HDMI Audio with a Desktop Computer.

Figure : Example of selecting HDMI as the default audio output device (Windows Vista).

7. If the previous steps did not resolve the issue, troubleshoot the audio coming from the computer.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot audio issues on the monitor. Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers 

Also, refer the monitor user guide user guide to know monitor. Link: https://hp.care/2JWohma

Note: Refer page 8 for more information. 

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Try performing a factory reset on the monitor.

1. If the monitor is not already on, press the Power button to turn on the monitor.
2. To access the OSD menu, press one of the Function buttons on the bottom side of the monitor's front
bezel to activate the buttons, and then press the Menu button to open the OSD.
3. Use the three Function buttons to navigate, select, and adjust the menu choices. The button labels are
variable depending on the menu or submenu that is active.
4. Under Management select factory defaults.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @AffluentMaster, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues playing audio from the monitor speakers.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on the monitor?

Are you able to hear audio using headphones or speakers?

Have you tried checking with a different HDMI cable?

Please share the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned you have issues playing audio from the monitor speakers.

Please try the steps recommended below.

To enable sound from the monitor's speakers, connect one end of an audio cable (not included) to the
audio-in jack on the monitor and the other end to the audio-out jack on the source device.

To enable sound from a headset, plug in the headset to the audio-out jack on the monitor.
NOTE: To adjust the speaker volume, press the volume button on the front bezel of the monitor or press the
Menu button to open the OSD. In the OSD, select Management > Audio Control > Volume. Use the plus (+) and
minus (-) controls to adjust the volume.

If the built-in speakers on the monitor do not produce sound, perform each step that follows, testing for sound after each step, until you can hear sound:

1. Close the software program you are using that is missing sound. Test for audio using another software program.

If the sounds are normal when using other software programs, the issue is with the software on the computer, and not the speakers in the monitor. If sound is missing from other software, continue using this procedure.

2. Check the cable connection. If the monitor-to-computer connection is a VGA cable (usually blue on both ends), an additional audio cable is needed between the monitor and the computer. Check that the audio cable is connected properly.

3. Try to adjust the volume higher using the monitor front-panel volume button.

4. Using the buttons on the monitor, navigate through the onscreen display (OSD) menu to find audio or speaker settings and enable the speakers.

5. Adjust the volume higher in Windows from the computer. Click the volume icon from the taskbar (lower right corner of the screen next to the time), and raise the volume to about 75%.

6. If the monitor is connected to a computer using an HDMI cable, the HDMI connection can be used for audio as well as video. Ensure HDMI audio is selected as the main audio output in the operating system (for example, Windows Audio Properties in Control Panel). For more information on this subject, please read Using HDMI Audio with a Desktop Computer.

Figure : Example of selecting HDMI as the default audio output device (Windows Vista).

7. If the previous steps did not resolve the issue, troubleshoot the audio coming from the computer.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot audio issues on the monitor. Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers 

Also, refer the monitor user guide user guide to know monitor. Link: https://hp.care/2JWohma

Note: Refer page 8 for more information. 

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Try performing a factory reset on the monitor.

1. If the monitor is not already on, press the Power button to turn on the monitor.
2. To access the OSD menu, press one of the Function buttons on the bottom side of the monitor's front
bezel to activate the buttons, and then press the Menu button to open the OSD.
3. Use the three Function buttons to navigate, select, and adjust the menu choices. The button labels are
variable depending on the menu or submenu that is active.
4. Under Management select factory defaults.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you. It works now. 

HP Recommended

Hi @AffluentMaster! You're welcome and thanks for your prompt response.

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i just bought this slime line desk top and the speakers do not work and i do not know what to do  it is a windows 10 hp so can some one help me please vergie 65

HP Recommended

Vergie65, try to restart your computer after connecting the monitor. That what helped me. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.