Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 590-p0063na: Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new desktop and a Creative 5.1 surround sound set up, which works well with my older Windows 7 PC. I have connected the speakers to the three rear jacks as recommended but the rear speakers do not work. I've also followed various suggestions here for configuring the High Def audio without success.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Dimitri57

Update the Bios and audio driver using HP Support Assistant.

Download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: Click here

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Dimitri57 What kind of speakers are you attempting to connect? If its using the SPDIF port it may not work if your desktop's sound card doesn't support it, please check the system requirements and if its supported by the 5.1 channel speakers using this link: click here

If its supported, which program are you using to play, try an alternate program, such as VLC player (free version) as it has advance codecs to support the speakers installed, 

Also, if it had been working before and it isn't anymore, I suggest you create a new user account and check if that works fine.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi and many thanks for the reply and the welcome.

The PC is specified by HP as having 5.1 connectivity and I connected the set in accordance with the hook-up diagram provided by HP - see attached, top diagram.

There is no discrete sound card.

The speaker set is a Creative Audio Inspire P5800 - it's a few years old but works perfectly well with other PCs in Windows 7 Pro.

Any further advice appreciated.

HP Pavilion sound hook up.jpg

HP Recommended

@Dimitri57

Update the Bios and audio driver using HP Support Assistant.

Download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: Click here

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you. After I followed up with all the updates, an option finally appeared enabling me to configure the set up for 5.1 surround sound and it now works. 

HP Recommended

@Dimitri57

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.