Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP P6-2107c
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Sound level for the line in or microphone will not stay set.  It keeps jumping back to mute and zero.  Settings for sound out or playback  will hold.  I have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling but the same condition exists.  Volume for the mic or line in will work for a few seconds or a few minutes and then reverts to a mute status.

Any ideas on how to fix this short of installing a separate sound card.  I'm using the IDT sound that is on the motherboard.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information.

Since you have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, it may be necessary to do a full System Recovery using the Recovery disks that you made when you bought the computer.  After a computer has been used for several years, it is not uncommon for glitches to occur.  I do a System Recovery at least once per year.  I like how the computer runs after is is complete.  If you decide to do this, you should backup your personal data before befinning.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@John829, welcome to the forum.

Here is a guide that may help you solve your problem.  At least, there are some ideas to try.  This is a good place to begin.

HP Recommended

I tried everything that was outlined in the guide, but the problem persists.  After setting the recording levels, they stay for a few seconds to less than a minute and then jump back to level 0 and also are muted.

It is the same for line in or the mic inputs.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information.

Since you have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, it may be necessary to do a full System Recovery using the Recovery disks that you made when you bought the computer.  After a computer has been used for several years, it is not uncommon for glitches to occur.  I do a System Recovery at least once per year.  I like how the computer runs after is is complete.  If you decide to do this, you should backup your personal data before befinning.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

It took a system restore to correct the problem.  Everything works like it did in the past before the trouble.  I hope it's not some windows update that gets it off track...I guess I'll find out as the updates get reloaded.

Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @John829.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.