Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 570-p023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had this computer for over a year now and up until a few days ago I was able to use the sound buttons right above the number pad on the right to mute or change volume levels at any time no matter what all I had running. Now they don't work at all. Not even when I play music or when I'm in game.

I have a set of Philips speakers plugged in that I've had the whole time I've had the computer. It's even the same keyboard it came with. I haven't done the 1903 windows update yet and as far as I can tell everything is up to date.

Realtek high definition audio is listed as the sound device. Not sure what other information would be helpful in figuring this out. Please help I'm not sure how to fix this.

8/22/2019 - Still having this problem. Anyone going to help at all?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Aiyatani,

Were there any recent windows update on the PC?

Try the steps recommended below.

If the volume controls on your keyboard stops working, check the Human Interface Device Access service on your computer to make sure it is set to Automatic.

In the search box on the taskbar, type View local services, and select View local services.
In the Services box, locate Human Interface Device Access. Make sure the status is set to Running. If it is not running, select Start the service.
Right-click (or press and hold) Human Interface Device Access and select Properties.
On the General tab, in the Startup type, select Automatic, and then select OK.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

First, running the audio troubleshooter - open Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot 
Scroll down, select Playing audio 
Click Run the troubleshooter 

Turn Off Audio Enhancements in Windows 10

In the taskbar search, type ‘Sound’ and select Sound Control Panel item from the list of results.
The Sound properties box will open. Under the Playback tab, right-click the Default Device – Speakers/Headphones and select Properties.

In the Speakers Properties box which opens, switch to the Enhancements tab, select the Disable all enhancements check box.

Now try to play your audio device. Does it work?

Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
In the list of audio device drivers, look for Realtek High definition Audio. This is the device driver for BeatsAudio (a little bit sneaky, wouldn’t you say?).
Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
Select Browse my computer for driver software.
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
In the Model box, highlight Realtek Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window with High Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllers section, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead of Realtek High definition Audio.
At the prompt to reboot, click Yes.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

Lastly, uninstall the audio driver from the device manager and update the Audio driver and BIOS using the HP support assistant.

You can update drivers on the PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Let me know if this helps!
Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Last update was a cumulative on the fourteenth of this month. I read that update version 1903 was bugged so I haven't done it yet even though it says it's available. I tried all of your solutions except the BIOS part and they are still not working. I hear a sound when I press them, but the volume control doesn't pop up in the corner anymore.

HP Recommended

Hi! @Aiyatani,

Thanks for writing back to us.

Try checking with a different keyboard and check if the issue persists.

On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time. Then type services.msc into the box and press Enter.
Locate and double-click on Windows Audio.
Click Stop > Start. Then click Apply > OK.
Repeat this fix on Windows Audio Endpoint Builder.
Restart your PC and check if your volume control works as it should.

Hope this helps!

Take Care!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't have another keyboard to try it on sadly. I tried the services fix and it didn't work either.

HP Recommended

@Aiyatani

Try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Run System File Checker in Windows 10:

1.  Press Windows Key + X

2.  Click Command Prompt (Admin)

3.  Type in:  sfc /scannow

4.  Press Enter.

Also, try restoring the BIOS to default.

1.    Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
2.    Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
3.    On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
4.    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
5.    Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
6.    Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Let me know if this works!

Take Care! 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I ran the file checker and nothing came up or changed. I'm not sure about messing with the BIOS. I don't want to end up messing something else worse up. I'll just deal with not being able to use then until I can get a new keyboard. 

Thank you for trying to help. Maybe some of the fixes you sent will help others.

HP Recommended

@Aiyatani

Certainly please try checking with an external keyboard and check if it works.

If you still have issues try performing a complete system reset and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a system reset. Click Here

Hope this helps!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.