Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Compaq dx5800
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am running Windows 7 Sp1 64-bit. Neither speakers nor headphones are being recognized. I woke up one day to find that the sound is coming from my internal desktop pc speaker. I have combed these boards looking for anwers, have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers also through device manager. Have disabled "Beep", all to no avail. (You know, beep only disables the "beep", not the rest of your audio, as many have suggested). Even went so far as to disable the on-board speaker through device manager and guess what? The audio still continued to come from the internal speaker! How did that bit of unasked for magic come about? I have tackled this problem from as many fronts as I can find and I am still at square one. Soundmax doesn't have their own support so I'm back here hoping someone can direct me to the solution. Please help me someone, and God Bless you whomever you may be.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is an unusual issue indeed.

Something may have gone wrong with the rear audio out port, and the PC is defaulting to the onboard speaker.

Some suggestions...

1. Remove and firmly reseat the audio plug into the light green audio out jack.  Maybe it is just a lousy connection.

2.. Go to the control panel>hardware and sound>sound>manage audio devices and make sure the PC speakers are set as the default.

3.  Enable the multistreaming option in the actual Soundmax audio manager.  You should see a black and white striped Soundmax icon for that in the control panel.

Restart the PC and see if you get audio out of the back audio port.

4.  Plug the speaker jack into the front audio port.

You may have to go to the control panel, manage audio devices and again set the speakers as the default after you enable the multistreaming option.

Sounds like a hardware problem to me.  Could even be the PC speakers went out.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is an unusual issue indeed.

Something may have gone wrong with the rear audio out port, and the PC is defaulting to the onboard speaker.

Some suggestions...

1. Remove and firmly reseat the audio plug into the light green audio out jack.  Maybe it is just a lousy connection.

2.. Go to the control panel>hardware and sound>sound>manage audio devices and make sure the PC speakers are set as the default.

3.  Enable the multistreaming option in the actual Soundmax audio manager.  You should see a black and white striped Soundmax icon for that in the control panel.

Restart the PC and see if you get audio out of the back audio port.

4.  Plug the speaker jack into the front audio port.

You may have to go to the control panel, manage audio devices and again set the speakers as the default after you enable the multistreaming option.

Sounds like a hardware problem to me.  Could even be the PC speakers went out.

HP Recommended

I would like to Thank you and Bless you for this solution.  Shortly after I posted this, I managed to get the sound from my headphones working but, my pc speaker was still engaged--so I had sound coming through the headphones AND the internal speaker;  very annoying when trying to be quiet. After checking again today for any solution to this, I saw you posted a possibilty. So I went into the Soundmax Audio ESP, checked the multi-streaming option and now, no more internal speaker enabled and I am properly only getting sound through my headphones as I needed. I had never initially touched any of the Soundmax options (very few), so I'm clueless why this happened. But as all is now resolved, I Bless you for taking the time to help me figure this out! You're totally awesome! 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, and Bless you too!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.