Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion S5-1224
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

New monitor. ViewSonic VG2755 has USB, USB-c, HDMI & VGA connections. 

Connected PC via VGA cable with adapter in DVI port. VGA does not carry sound. Previous sound was thru HP line out. 1 pin connection that does not match anything on monitor. Any suggestions on audio out cable? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Ddogdan Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are not getting sound. 

Have you tried with HDMI cable and check?

Please follow below instruction to do troubleshooting.

1. Verify that the audio cable is connected to the AUDIO OUT or LINE OUT output on the Sound Card and plugged into the AUDIO IN or LINE IN of the Monitor.

2. Make sure there are no cables connected to the Headphone Jack (located next to the AUDIO IN port) on the monitor. 

If there is, please disconnect that cable and try the speakers again. Connecting a cable to the Headphone Jack disables the speakers.
    If there is no cable connected into the Headphone Jack, test a pair of headphones into that jack to see if you can hear sound out of the headphones. 

If you are able to hear sound out of the headphones, disconnect the headphones and try the speakers again.

3. Verify that the Mute on the monitor is not on or the Volume is not turned down.

4. Verify that the Mute on the computer is not on or the Volume is not turned down.

5. If there is still no audio from the monitor's speakers, connect the Audio cable to another audio source like a portable CD player or tape player headphone output. 

If audio can be heard through the monitor's speakers, then there may be an issue with the computers sound card.

6. Connect another set of computer speakers (if available) or headphones to the AUDIO OUT or LINE OUT output on the Sound Card. 

Right click on the speaker in the systray and check to see if the correct playback device is available and selected. 

If NO audio can be heard then there is an issue with the sound card or sound card drivers. 

Verify with the computer's manufacturer for additional assistance.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

1. Verify that the audio cable is connected to the AUDIO OUT or LINE OUT output on the Sound Card and plugged into the AUDIO IN or LINE IN of the Monitor.

The current connections are AC power and VGA (monitor) adapted to DVI (computer), 

Which of these monitor connectors would be "Audio in"?

USB 3.0a

USB 3.0b

USB 3.0c

VGA

HDMI 1.4

Display Port

2. Make sure there are no cables connected to the Headphone Jack (located next to the AUDIO IN port) on the monitor. 

no headphone jack on monitor

If there is, please disconnect that cable and try the speakers again. Connecting a cable to the Headphone Jack disables the speakers.
    If there is no cable connected into the Headphone Jack, test a pair of headphones into that jack to see if you can hear sound out of the headphones. 

Headphone jack on computer provides sound: soundcard works

If you are able to hear sound out of the headphones, disconnect the headphones and try the speakers again.

3. Verify that the Mute on the monitor is not on or the Volume is not turned down.

monitor volume control will adjust volume for headphone jack on computer

4. Verify that the Mute on the computer is not on or the Volume is not turned down.

volume control works

5. If there is still no audio from the monitor's speakers, connect the Audio cable to another audio source like a portable CD player or tape player headphone output. 

If audio can be heard through the monitor's speakers, then there may be an issue with the computers sound card.

test failed. what is audio line in?

6. Connect another set of computer speakers (if available) or headphones to the AUDIO OUT or LINE OUT output on the Sound Card. 

Right click on the speaker in the systray and check to see if the correct playback device is available and selected. 

Speakers/Headphone:(IDT High Definition Audio (CODEC)

If NO audio can be heard then there is an issue with the sound card or sound card drivers. 

Can we assume sound card works because headphones work?

Verify with the computer's manufacturer for additional assistance.

HP Recommended

@Ddogdan

I understand your concerns.

Have you checked with ViewSonic  support?

Please update the windows update and check.

Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Please update the BIOS.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I am quite certain that ViewSonic customer assistance will instruct me to plug into one of the available ports:

USB 3.0a

USB 3.0b

USB 3.0c

VGA

HDMI 1.4

Display Port

Can you tell me which of these connections will carry sound? My understanding is that VGA & USB on the monitor will not provide sound to the monitor built in speakers.

Can you tell me which ports on the circa 2012 HP Pavillion will connection sound to the monitor?

USB (x4)

ethernet

DVI

DVI

1 pin: in, out, mic, rear, side, c/sub

A/C.

Can you tell me the specs ( or name) for the 1 pin connections? I was guessing 3.5mm

Can you tell me if there would be any other connection options in the case?

These answers will point me to the proper adapter. Do they make a 1 pin to HDMI adapter?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Ddogdan 

I understand your concerns.

The HDMI port will carry the sound.

Please try to connect the HDMI cable and check.

Please refer to the below link.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01186408

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.