Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp 27-a127c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I put the cursor over the speaker icon on the task bar nothing happens. I left click, I right click, nothing. It highlights when I put the cursor on it but it doesn't react when I click. The internal speakers work fine and can be controlled from inside the system but not the task bar.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@daveandann

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the speaker icon on task car doesn't work anymore,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Are the other icons on the task-bar still working?

If yes, Did you attempt to reinstall the audio drivers (from the device manager) and check again?

If no, have you reset the task-bar?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

This is one simple fix that can help you restore your task-bar to working order. If the problem with the task-bar is not so critical, this method should do the job for you. You won’t need to play or manipulate with other system settings. Here’s what you need to do:

1. Press Windows Key + R combination on your keyboard to launch Run prompt. Enter taskmgr.exe and hit Enter to open Task Manager.

2. Now, under Processes tab, scroll down and look for Windows Explorer over there.

[Fix] Taskbar Not Working In Windows 10

3. Select Windows Explorer and click on Restart button in the bottom right corner.

4. This should simply kill the Windows Explorer process and restart it in a little while.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the help. Actually, a simple restart of the computer seemed to do the trick. Been having all kinds of problems since the last Windows 10 update. For some reason my system "thinks" it's running Windows 8. But, I will keep this information handy in case I have more problems. Thanks again!

HP Recommended

@daveandann

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad you found the solution for this concern. 

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And select Accepted as solution to help others find the same solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey all, I followed intructions in Daveandan's article dated 12/17.  At the end, instructions are 'click on restart button'.... I don't have a restart button.  I have end task,services, etc.  No restart button.  I'm running Windows 7 and that might be why?  Thanks for any future help, mtnmaxjax

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.