Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen obelisk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Mine is a HP Omen obelisk desktop and I bought it 1 and a half years ago.

Now when I tried to turn on the desktop, the desktop first beeps for 8 times, and then makes a 2 long beeps + 2 short beeps combo for several times. No signals or image on my monitor. Pressing keys on keyword also won't work.

Before that there are some stories about how I get into this issue. Today in the morning i tried to turn on the desktop, but the monitor says "no hdmi signals". I tried somethings like re-connecting the cables and it finally works. After that, the desktop was working perfectly. However, just minutes after that, i found there's no sound for the desktop (There are sound when I plug in the earphone, but no sound when I took out the earphone). I went into "settings" and follow the instructions to diagnose the problem, and finally it asked me to restart the desktop to finish reinstalling something. I shut down the desktop and when I tried to turn on again, it started to beep 8 times then 2 long and 2 short as described above. The power light (that diamond shape symbol) is on and red, i can hear the noise from the fan, but there's nothing happened after that. No signals on the monitor, striking keys won't work, long press to shut down and restart also won't work.

I am sure the monitor is working because I connect to my working laptop and it displays the screen perfectly. I am now wondering what this beep means and what should I do next.

Best regards

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Same happened to me after windows updates (HP Firmeware update).

8 beeps + 2 long + 2 shot -> 4 times.

I contacted several times support team, they dont believe that it was windows updates and said i was a hardware problem, so i needed to ship my pc to repair.

Now i have proff that i was not the only one with this issue.

Thanks.

Oh and btw (***bleep***) ship it to fix they need to restore bios for sure, this last update really damaged the pc.

2 Major issues in 3 months with updates. I would not advice HP to anyone now

HP Recommended

Hi, do you know what hardware was replaced to fix the problem?  Was it a new graphics card or ?  Having same issue...  thanks so much!

HP Recommended

Have you done the windows update before this happened ?

Yeah they blamed me, saying that i "miss" used the computed and damaged the motherboard. I wonder how could i do that, and i wonder as a Software Engineer. 

So they need to replace the motherboard, send it back to me and see if it all goes ok.

Best regards, A

HP Recommended

Not fixed yet. I sent to a computer repair store and they said the motherboard is broken. 

HP Recommended

To Andre:

I shut down the desktop because they asked me to do so in order to complete the update, so I think I finished the update except a restart. However, I was not able to started up my desktop since then.

I send to a computer repair store and they told me the motherboard is broken. Now I really don't know how to deal with it.

HP Recommended

I already contacted a manager in HP. They dont acknowledge that this issue was provoked because of an update of HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.