Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
500-415no
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
I installed new ram that i found just lying around not being used, so i took these 2 ram sticks that was probably not meant to fit in my computer and pressed them in the free ram slots. They had the perfect length but the chips looked different. I had my computer off while doing this and i had 8 GB ram before installing the additional ones. Then when i turned my computer on again i hear 5 long beeps and my power light blinking. After a minute or so it stops beeping but continues to blink. I have tried removing the new ram sticks and only used my orginal one but still the same problem.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It would seem there is still a RAM (memory) problem.  Please verify that the original RAM is in the original slots as before this began and seated properly.   Either both blue or both black slots.

If the beeping contiues, try one RAM stick at a time. 

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

That PC's support page is here:

https://support.hp.com/vn-en/document/c04486449

It will support this type of RAM

• Supports DDR3 DIMMs
    • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
    • PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
    • PC3-14400 (DDR3-1800)

Assuming that you might have dislodged the original RAM, try reseating the original RAM in the slots they were in before.  While the PC is still off, and the power cord is unplugged, press and hold the power (start) button in for 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Then replug in the power cord and press start while immediately tapping Esc until the popup menu comes up.  Pick BIOS setup and reset the BIOS to defaults.  Then save the settings and reboot. 
      Does it now start OK?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
I tried this but i get no display and my keyboard does not get power to be able to use it
HP Recommended

You mean the beeping is still happening?

If "Yes" then either something got disconnected on accident or a hardware failure has occurred.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended
Yes, it is still beeping
HP Recommended

It would seem there is still a RAM (memory) problem.  Please verify that the original RAM is in the original slots as before this began and seated properly.   Either both blue or both black slots.

If the beeping contiues, try one RAM stick at a time. 

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended
I only have one 8 GB ram stick and i’ve tried all slots and pushed it in place very hard to confirm it’s seated properly. I guess I have to try just doing this a couple of more times and If it doesn’t work i probably need a new ram stick or two. Thanks for help
HP Recommended
It got it to work again! 🙂
HP Recommended

Great news. 

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.