Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 23-a200a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavillion 23 All-in-one

The computer was operating then suddenly stopped working.

It does not power up at all.

I tested the AC adaptor and the output voltage looks OK, the LED on the adaptor is green....

However, when I plug the adaptor into the DC port the Adaptor LED turns off. I have to remove the Adaptor from the PC and cycle the 240V for the LED to come back on.

There is a slight burning smell coming from the DC port and DC plug when I try to power on, that fades after a little while.

I attempted to unplug all components from the motherboard to see If that was an issue but still no luck...

Is there anything further testing I can do to narrow down the problem, or has anyone got a solution to this problem.

Thank you  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JDuBBs1 

No, you don't need a HP Tech with the DMI tool. That's only for the AiO's released in the last couple of years.

Follow my instructions for your model.

You don't need to do anything with UUID.

Product name is 23-a200a 

SKU is the Product Number (eg. 4LY96AA#ABG) You'll replace #ABG with your country code. #ABG is for Australia. Your sticker should say a different #xxx.

If you're running WIndows 10, you shouldn't need to install any drivers from HP. That unit predates Windows 10, so the Windows driver store has all the drivers you need for that model. Windows Update *should* install everything you need. Only the BIOS update you'll need to get from the HP website. The only HP things I'd install would be the UEFI diags and perhaps the HP support assistant.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

If the AC Adapter is 'shorting' when you plug it into the motherboard, then the motherboard is fried. I've replaced about 25 mainboards under warranty for this issue across many different AiO models.

I can't tell you exactly what component on the board has died sorry.

You'll need to purchase a new mainboard if you want to fix this PC. (assuming it's not under warranty)

See if you can find a 2nd hand one on ebay perhaps. Look for the white sticker on the board with the SPS number on it. That's the exact spares part number for that board.

HP Recommended

Hi Hibb1,

I was able to locate the sp number of 708609-001 (Sticker) and DAOWJYMB6EO Rev:E on the actual board.

I found this ebay link https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-HP-23-A020-Motherboard-DA0WJYMB6E0-708609-001-717066-501-100-Test-Work-...

It states its for HP 23-A020, where my model is 23-A200a

It also says it is unbranded, but the stickers and numbers on the board match...

I have also found one that looks to be revision B, Is this something to also look out for?

Would this be just a simple swap over or is there more to the specifics (BIos etc)

Thanks again

HP Recommended

@JDuBBs1The board revision shouldn't matter, but the later the revision the better, as there will be 'improvements' to the later versions. I had a look at that ebay listing and it looks genuine. Not sure why it's listed as unbranded. Perhaps the seller doesn't know it's made by Quanta.

Here's the detailed specs of the mainboard: https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c03630351

The 23-a200a & 23-a020a share the same mainboard. Differences will be down to CPU, RAM & HDD size. But they're the same 'family' so it's all good.

I've pulled those models apart many times, so if you need assistance in the disassembly, let me know.

If you want to be able to perform a HP full factory recovery after you've replaced the board, then you'll need to 'tattoo' the board, otherwise the HP recovery will fail. Chances are that there's still the original tattoo on the board from whatever machine it was ripped out of, but you won't be able to change the feature byte, which means the HP recovery will probably fail anyway.

This isn't a deal breaker, but it means that you'll need to install the 'vanilla' Windows 10 from the Microsoft website. You won't have any licensing / activation issues if you've already got 10 on it. You'll see that the part number differs depending on if the board is shipped with no DPK (digital product key) Win home DPK or Win pro DPK. Again, this won't stop you from re-installing windows if you have to.

Swapping the board is easy, just unplug the cables from the board, take out the board, swap out the processor and ram then install the new board and re-connect the cables.

You'll need a flat head screwdriver, or preferably a T15 driver / bit. Also a plastic pry tool. The back cover on those models are clipped on REAL tight.

In summary, you've found the right board, at a reasonable price, so if you're up to replacing it, it's worth it.

HP Recommended

Hi @Hibb1

Thanks very much for the info provided.

I have purchased the motherboard and awaiting arrival.... I plan on just swapping out the motherboard and hoping everything powers up as per normal (HDD has Windows installed already)

After the hopeful boot up I am thinking of Cloning the HDD to a SSD and upgrading the RAM to 16GB...

I hope this fixes the problem and increase performance without any issues... Im unsure about Tattooing side of things, so hopefully this works.

I will be sure to contact you in a few weeks.

Thanks again

Cheers

HP Recommended

Hello @Hibb1

I successfully swapped out the motherboard and have booted up windows and have done windows updates.. However I am now trying to see If there are any drivers/bios updates available.. When I go to HP to run the diagnostic/ support software it doesnt detect my PC. 

I have entered into the BIOS/System Info and the Serial number/Product number is not present... I am assuming this is the "Tattoo"? 

Is there anyway of setting this motherboard/PC as the original product? or how would I know what firmware Is needed to be installed..

Thanks again

HP Recommended

@JDuBBs1That's excellent that it worked 🙂

Yes - That's the 'tattoo' that's missing.

Do the following:

1. Take a photo of the stickers on the back. From memory you need to lay it on it's face, then push up the stand a bit to get a camera in there.

2. Turn on the PC and go into BIOS (F10) then press CRTL+A.

3. Go to system information and write down the SSID (eg. 2B43)

4. ESC back to the main screen. Arrow over to advanced then system id's (I think)

5. Then you'll see a screen like this:

Hibb1_0-1615529798022.png

6. Based off your photo's, enter your information for: PRODUCT NAME, SERIAL NUMBER, PRODUCT NUMBER, FEATURE BYTE & BUILD ID. Make sure your photo of the Feature Byte is clear, as it has to match EXACTLY, otherwise it won't accept it and you'll have to start again.

7. Hit F10 to save changes. exit out of BIOS. Go back in & see if it saved the information.

You can use the CTRL+A method anytime to change the info again EXCEPT the feature byte. Once it's been entered successfully, then it can't be changed again.

In theory, you don't NEED to do all this, you just need the SSID of the motherboard. Then you go to the HP website, go to support, punch in your model of your AiO then under BIOS UPDATES, you'll see your SSID as one of the entries. This is the BIOS you want.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Hi @Hibbs1

I ended up speaking to support last night and they said I need to have a HP tech do this with some DMI tool???

I ended up using a software called snappy driver installer origin to update a heap of drivers... will this clash If i then do what you say with HP support?

From you advice I was able to change the system ID's:

I have managed to enter the buildID and FeatureByte and Serial number

the UUID number was already pasted

I am unsure what to type in SKU number and Product name

Just picked up an ssd and some RAM to update

Thanks again

HP Recommended

@JDuBBs1 

No, you don't need a HP Tech with the DMI tool. That's only for the AiO's released in the last couple of years.

Follow my instructions for your model.

You don't need to do anything with UUID.

Product name is 23-a200a 

SKU is the Product Number (eg. 4LY96AA#ABG) You'll replace #ABG with your country code. #ABG is for Australia. Your sticker should say a different #xxx.

If you're running WIndows 10, you shouldn't need to install any drivers from HP. That unit predates Windows 10, so the Windows driver store has all the drivers you need for that model. Windows Update *should* install everything you need. Only the BIOS update you'll need to get from the HP website. The only HP things I'd install would be the UEFI diags and perhaps the HP support assistant.

HP Recommended

@Hibbs1

Thank you Hibbs1, I have managed to update the BIOS system ID's as per your recommendation....

HP Support assist was able to download and recognises my PC:

info.png

However it is not populating my Product number, whereas HP Diagnostics tool does recognise my Product under System Information.

I am hoping this will not effect my "updates" as it did not find any and did not say there is a BIOS update... It recognises as the BIOS as:

BIOS.png

Please let me know If this can be fixed further, otherwise I appreciate all that you have helped me with 🙂

Cheers,

JDuBBs1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.