Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I  accidentally disabled all my usb ports now my keyboard and mouse will not work - anyway around this please - was trying to disable Secure USB, but over did it when disable security features.

Is there any way to access the BIOS to reset options?

I did leave the internal usb port open - but having looked inside the computer - no internal usb ports available.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem resolved!

1) Shut down PC

2) Disconnected Power from the back

3) I then removed cmos  battery

4) Disconnected Hard Disk Drive ( so PC had no choice can only load to BIOS)

5) Waited 5 to 10 mins switched on PC with disconnected HDD and rapidly tapped on F10 ( or your relevant key to bring up BIOS)

6) BIOS Loaded - and  I was able to undone my mistake.

Problem Solved!

Thanks Everyone for you suggestions. Thanks for the quick response.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

hi new, which pc maker, model and OS pls...and I will hunt 4 you.

mg.

HP Recommended

It seems you are not alone  for doing that.  If the PC has PS/2 ports you can proceed with using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse.  If it does not, then the easiest way is to install an additional USB card in a PCIexpress slot.  If this is a laptop, then you can't do that.  It will require getting into the registry with a non-Windows OS or use a WinRe  load.

Please give additional info regarding the make and model of the PC.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

another thought..is it a desktop?  open case, find cmos reset pin on board and pull 1367614398326.desktop%20RTCRST.jpgit, take out.  remove  cmos battery, re-instal battery and pin. restart. should clear bios settings ( and p/word). remember to reset date/time,etc..and boot order  in bios. ( can be esc, f1, f2, f10..) 

anyhow..if laptop, should have  a touch pad avail so could you get back into bios by manual method ( use finger touch )and  reconfigure the settings . should at least be able to load defaults. 

MG.

HP Recommended

Problem resolved!

1) Shut down PC

2) Disconnected Power from the back

3) I then removed cmos  battery

4) Disconnected Hard Disk Drive ( so PC had no choice can only load to BIOS)

5) Waited 5 to 10 mins switched on PC with disconnected HDD and rapidly tapped on F10 ( or your relevant key to bring up BIOS)

6) BIOS Loaded - and  I was able to undone my mistake.

Problem Solved!

Thanks Everyone for you suggestions. Thanks for the quick response.

HP Recommended

That's great glad that actually worked.  That process was one suggested in other posts to try and solve the problem, but on all the other threads I read it did not work.  Glad to hear it worked for you.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.