Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 750-630xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After installing 1TB SSD, the computer will not do an auto restart/reboot.  It doesn't completely shutdown; it seems to freeze at the shutdown mode, but doesn't power off.  The computer is still on, but the screen says 'No signal detected.'  At that point I have to hold the power button until the computer turns off and then I manually turn it back on.  It starts back up without any problem.  The computer came with Optane Memory, which I had to remove to install the new SSD.  All other operations seemed to be functioning normally. I've tried the hard shutdown by removing all power, but to no avail.  I've been living with this for over a year now.  I thought I'd check to see if anyone has any suggestions before I go through all the work of reinstalling Windows 10.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

As an experiment, disconnect the SSD, connect any "spare" disk-drive, disconnect any Ethernet cable from the computer, and reinstall Windows 10. Without an Internet connection, installation should be quicker, because Windows Update won't be able to update anything. No need to "activate" Windows, either. Do you get the same "non-power-off-during-shutdown" symptom?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.