Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq dc7800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings i recently created this account for finding some help with this problem i have.

First off, Yes i know this system is old and does not offer the best performance, but i have to clarify that i
currently live on Venezuela so it was the fastest choice (my previous build died, probably bad caps) and was best
choice for the money i had given the circunstances on this country, its only needed for office aplications and
daily usage.

After that i want to let anyone knows that before this happened i bought the used system, and came with win7 2 gb
ram, core 2 duo e8400, and one HDD of 80GB. This was one week ago, after that i decided to transplant the previous
ram i had from the other build, and the HDD for more space and installing win10, that was succefull, with no
problems.

So the sytem now has 4GB RAM in dual channel configuration, and was using 160GB HDD with win10 fresh on it running
fine, at the time i had the other 160GB HDD (but this one was the one with the w10 of the previous build). I needed
the files on that drive but for some reason it didnt want it to recognize the HDD.

I entered the BIOS to seek some answers and after selecting in the menu File>Default Setup>Restore factory
setting as Default. The BIOS showed the message "the following ... has been changed... 4096 MB" and got stuck on
that, it didn't turn off.

I had to push the power button, after that, POST checked the ram and showed the error 102 and i didn't belive it.

-Power Off, discharge caps thru power button, and proceded to uninstall all DIMM present on the MB. 

-Power On, and with the Troubleshooting Guide on hand confirmed the blinking LED states and speaker sounds alerting that there's no ram installed.

-Power Off, and proceded to install one DIMM of 1GB the one that it came with it originally.

-Power On, and the POST checked the RAM, it succefully said error 164. After f1 for saving, i managed to enter the
bios (althougt it didn't show the HP logo at the start) and proceded to check all fields were present on the BIOS. Afterwards, saved config, exit the bios, and then power off.

-Unplug power cord, discharged caps, and proceded slowly increasing the ram to were it was before, repeating the
last step.

-Next power cycle and i was were i started before the problem, exited the bios and didnt boot, i had to restart and
check the bios config again, over the Security>Device Security. Changed all from hidden to device avaible, exited
and error 2223 appeared.

-Yet again restart, i went for the forums (not registered, only viewing similar posts) because over the
troubleshooting guide did not listed error 2223. I also checked the forums on spanish (but they are to loose, with no
real usefull information, and seems to me that people didn't dive into really, sloving the problem, and the replies
felt empty to me) so i turned to this forum, and found a similar case from a guy in Russia that had the same
problem, but over there they don't have access (in the BIOS) to the Embedded Security option, i checked mine and
didn't listed it too.

But there's a catch i had the BIOS version v1.24, so i hoped that updating the BIOS will solve the missing field
problem, i downloaded the Bios file from HP (not the microcode) find the .bin file, copied to an empty USB drive formated
as FAT32 by default on win7 over this laptop SL500 that i'm using to write this, and used the option on the BIOS
File>Flash system ROM, worked fine (thank god i did not suffer a power outage) and then save and exit the bios,
power off and on again...

And HP logo apperead again, after F10 i moved to check the missing field, but it was the same, no sign of the
Embedded security field on the BIOS.

At this point i'm out of ideas, i turned on VTx  and VTd to get rid of the error 2223 but after that it shows error 2224 and this is were i'm stuck.

I already invested the money i had (40$) what i have left only reach for common expenses, please understand i need
to make this work, i will not be able to recover the money for finding another one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is my last post on this thread; i wanted to tell that i manage to recover my previous build, luky me the dc7800 board has donated the caps i needed to turn on the old build... i haven't lose the touch.

So Now it's running yet again, also with the E8400 processor.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Since i'm seeing that some people might have this same issue and also that i manage to find a used Pentium E2140 for close to 2$. I will try out what the other post suggested to do... for tomorrow, because i'm not on the office.

Also i wanted to ask (if i manage to enter windows). What propietary software use HP to control the Virtualization aspect and Boot security from windows? the one that mention the TPM (Trusted Plataform Module  is the correct acronym?)  

Because under Driver downloads i see many options and i'm not sure what is the one i need:

+Manageability Tools (1 option)

+Software-Security (8 options)...

+Software-System Management (3 options...)

Anyhow i'll keep you informed about what happens tomorrow.

HP Recommended

Unfortunate, seems like putting the E2140 didn't do anything, i was following these step over this post...

Error BIOS 2223 and 2224

Sadly this MB seems stuck on a loop, after following those steps on that post, the POST showed Error 2213...

Obviously is asking for the other processor to be installed and then get stuck on the previous error i described. So i give up.

The other solution it's too expensive (flashing the bios, i dont have that kit), for now i will see from here if anybody wants this MB for spare parts, the case too (which is intact), front panel, smart lock, and PSU can also be sold...

HP Recommended

This is my last post on this thread; i wanted to tell that i manage to recover my previous build, luky me the dc7800 board has donated the caps i needed to turn on the old build... i haven't lose the touch.

So Now it's running yet again, also with the E8400 processor.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.