Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z240 SFF Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The BIOS startup time is around 17 seconds, and in my opinion is too long.

I get this time through: "Task Manager / Start-up / Last BIOS time"

I have the latest BIOS update: 01.82 Rev.A (May 25, 2021)

I have checked in the BIOS the "quick boot"

I have test it without any USB device connected

I have no extra graphic card and no extra device connected: just the keyboard and the screen

In the BIOS I have unchecked booting from CD-ROM, from USB and from net (pxe). My computer boots directly from my SSD SATA 0 drive.

I have even disabled the 4 PCIe slots (the four of them are emty)

But the BIOTS startup time is still around 17 seconds. What is it happening? Can be considered "normal" this startup time?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

A 17 second startup time is very good in my opinion.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz, thank you for your answer, but I don't agree: 17 seconds is "BIOS startup time", but not "Windows startup time".

My old laptop (HP EliteBook Folio 9470m) has a BIOS startup time of 3.0 seconds!

I get this time through: "Task Manager / Start-up / Last BIOS time"

HP Recommended

Hi @lhernandezx,

You're very welcome.

Maybe a different forum member can assist.

Regards

HP Recommended

@lhernandezx 

I've seen the actual BIOS time defined as the time interval from when you press the power button until the login screen starts to appear. I read your post with interest -- so I checked this on my desktop. It has a very fast processor, a very fast NVME SSD, very fast memory, and the ACTUAL BIOS time is 5 seconds or less -- as I have timed it repeatedly myself.

But the Last BIOS Time in Task Manager reports this same time as 47 seconds.

So, like nearly everything else that MS does in Windows measurements, this seems to be bogus.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood, thank you for your answer.

In my both computers the Last BIOS Time in Task Manager matches with the real time: time between I press the power button and the first Windows logo appears.

In any case, in my Z240 desktop the ACTUAL BIOS time is around 17 - 18 seconds, IMHO too much.

I think whatever BIOS time below 10 seconds would be normal, but not 17 or 18 seconds.

Some idea what could be happening?

Thanks,

HP Recommended

@lhernandezx 

I've found the reported time to be unreliable, so I don't place any stock in it -- so I don't waste my time on it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood,

I can agree with you, but in any case I would like to reduce this actual 17 or 18 seconds to something below 10 seconds

I boot my computer several times a day and it is awful to look at the black screen for 17/18 seconds every time.

HP Recommended

Community,

Some idea or BIOS configuration to reduce the BIOS startup time?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.