Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
DESKTOP-G09E4Q3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This i5 HP desktop is driving me nuts!  It has a Samsung SSD as SATA Drive 0, and it boots quickly and accurately every time provided:

1.  There is no USB drive plugged in

2.  There is no internally-mounted drive other than the Samsung

In either of the above cases, the boot hangs, and the machine will not start.

To troubleshoot, I've gone into the BIOS and deleted all boot devices BUT the SATA Drive 0.  Then the machine gives me a "this is not a system disc" error and won't boot at all.

What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@WAWood -

First of all, thank you very kindly for the response.  I appreciate you taking the time!

I finally concluded that you're right - this machine will NOT boot with USB devices connected.  Despite turning off the "boot from USB device" option in the BIOS, the machine insists on checking the USB devices, and when it finds one, it just locks.

The SSD was an aftermarket one that I installed internally (replacing the original 500 GB conventional drive).

I tried swapping all SATA connectors without any result other than the machine then refused to boot at all, giving me a "This is not a bootable disc" error.  The internal SSD must be connected to the dark-blue SATA controller, or the machine won't boot from it at all.

I finally solved the problem entirely.  I hooked up the external HDD to my MacBook Pro and I'm selling the HP desktop.  Problem solved.

Thanks again for your generous feedback - I appreciate it and it did help!

Cordially - CathodeCathay

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@CathodeCathay 

The first issue is that anything plugged into a USB port is going to be seen as a bootable device and the PC will try to boot from it.  I have that same problem with an HP laptop and the ONLY solution that works is to have nothing other than mouse and keyboard plugged into the USB ports when the laptop boots.

Is the SSD a SATA SSD connected through a cable? Or is it an M.2 SSD connected directly to the motherboard?

If the first, then when you want to connect a second SATA drive, switch the connectors and see if the problem continues.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood -

First of all, thank you very kindly for the response.  I appreciate you taking the time!

I finally concluded that you're right - this machine will NOT boot with USB devices connected.  Despite turning off the "boot from USB device" option in the BIOS, the machine insists on checking the USB devices, and when it finds one, it just locks.

The SSD was an aftermarket one that I installed internally (replacing the original 500 GB conventional drive).

I tried swapping all SATA connectors without any result other than the machine then refused to boot at all, giving me a "This is not a bootable disc" error.  The internal SSD must be connected to the dark-blue SATA controller, or the machine won't boot from it at all.

I finally solved the problem entirely.  I hooked up the external HDD to my MacBook Pro and I'm selling the HP desktop.  Problem solved.

Thanks again for your generous feedback - I appreciate it and it did help!

Cordially - CathodeCathay

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.