Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp hpe 531it
Unknown

Hello,
I recently resumed this pc after a long time of inactivity, and there are no more GPUs and the original HDD inside. The processor has been changed to an i5 2400S.
The problem is that you can't access the bios, I tried to reset both by removing the 3V battery and by resetting the CMOS using pins. 

I tried to use a USB with the HP PC Diagnostic 4 in 1 tool but it was not recognized either by pressing the Windows B or Windows V key combination.
At startup the HP logo appears but the keys F2, F10, ESC, CANC do not respond. Immediately after, the black screen appears with the main components in the system described and the warning that the default bios settings have been loaded.
On the keyboard there are the lights: NUM LOCK on, SHIFT LOCK off and SCORR LOCK blinking.
There is no beep or warning by removing the HDD but there is if removed the RAM.

So I think the bios is corrupted.
There are no .bin files for the bios on the product page, how can I repair it?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@werve 

HP generally distributes their BIOS updates as SoftPaq files -- which are self-extracting archives.

If you download and install the free 7-ZIP archive tool, you can use that to extract all the component files from those archives.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

In the product page here https://support.hp.com/it-it/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-500-desktop-pc-series/5035344... there are only one file for Bios and inside that .exe i found a .rom file but I don't know how to use that to flash because i can't choose the usb to boot or open bios settings.

HP Recommended

@werve 

You're right -- there is no embedded BIN file -- possibly because this BIOS update is so old.

You have to be able to boot from something containing these files, so if you can't boot from CD or USB, then you can't fix this.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Unless this motherboard has key combinations or there is some tool to force an update of the bios that I have not already tested I do not think I can continue. Is it correct by the combination of lights on the keyboard that the problem is the bios?
In a document from the HP PC Diagnostic 4 in 1 program taken here at https://www8.hp.com/it/it/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html there are no combinations with the BLOC SCORR  light.

So because a motherboard replacement is needed someone know one compatibile (same case and layout)? Thanks. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.