Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Desktop 500-539
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bios is a constant update loop (I have a HP desktop 500-539 with windows 10)

1.  Updated BIOS vis windows HP assissnat.  File found via updated was HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2B35) sp77785.exe

2,  Windows proceeded with update, and stated in needed to restart amd and now is constant BIOS reboot stating error 500 and BIOS keeps rewriting and rebooting.

Tried

1.  Loading updated BIOS via USB - file sp77785.exe but get same issue

2.  Doing a hard reset to clear before trying to resintall,  ie unplug all peripherals, took out CMOS battery and even tried clearing the CMOS via the CM Clear pin on the motherboard - again same issue

3. Tried Widows + B.   When do it shows the BIOS I was triying to install was installed, then states hit esc to start up.  But again just relaod BIOS again and goes back into a loop

4.  Tried loading a newer version of the BIOS (  Release date: May 14, 2018 File name:sp87681.exe

and now gettign message "The System BIOS recovery failed.  Unable to open BIOS Image file"

I've spent over 6 hours trying to fix even tried calling HP tech support and after 30 min asking me question their response was as I'm out of warrantly I need to call a different department and pay obtain support

I've searched many forums and many many people have the same issue, many recommendations but no one posted any Working solutions.  Not sure if HP even has a fix, but I keep asking why do they have this BIOS update out there if they know it bricks your PC

Any help is appreciated

Any advise apprecited. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi
Hopefully one of these documents will cover (and solve) your problem...

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00042629

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Turn off the computer, and then connect the power cord.
Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold the power button for 2 to 3 seconds.
Release the Power button but continue pressing the Windows and B keys. You might hear a series of beeps.
The HP BIOS Update screen displays and the recovery begins automatically. Follow any on-screen prompts to continue the startup to complete the recovery.
HP BIOS Update recovery in progress

If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps but press the Windows key and the V key. If the screen still does not display, your computer might not support the feature or there is a hard drive issue. Continue to the next step to install a BIOS recovery file from the HP website.
If the Power light turns off, the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the button for only 2 to 3 seconds.

HP Recommended

Thanks but I tried that.  When I press the windo key + B it will bring up a screen showing the version of the bios and soem other details on the comptuer.   Then states hit esc to start and yes what is just goes back to reload.re-writing the bios over and over again

Anyone had anyluck getting out of the bios re-wrtiing loop?   I shocked that HP would still have a bios update that;s been out a few years that bricks your motherboard and computer?   Is this a way for them to enusre you buy a new computer?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.