Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop – 550-102NG

Hi,
I checked ROM Family (2B2C) and BIOS of a HP Pavilion 550-102ng (Product N0. P1L03EA#ABD) and downloaded the in my opinion correct BIOS file to update the quite old version 'ME2 VA0.03' from here: Treiber - HP Pavilion Desktop – 550-102NG (ENERGY STAR) | HP® Kundensupport

After unpacking it I initiated the BIOS patch from the running Windows 10 and as expected a reboot occured and the BIOS update was executed. It looked like all checksums etc. were okay. After the final reboot the screen remained blank, also after waiting several minutes hoping a last reboot would happen.

In the meantime I tried everything to reset the BIOS (e.g. by pressing 10 seconds the power button or some other Windows+B, Windows+V even if this is probably only valid for Laptops). I also tried to connect another monitor with an analogue VGA connection instead of using the DVI port - no difference, the screen stays blank, no HP logo, nothing.

I did many firmware updated in my life and it looks like it was the first time I destroyed the hardware with (a little bit sad as I prepared the PC for giving it as a donation to a school). Would be great if you have a hint which is the perfect fitting description for 'repairing' a BIOS used by the Pavillion Desktop from the 550 series. I did many firmware updates in my life and it seems this was the first one leading to a situation where no recovery is possible.

Thanks and best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Itsmyname -- Thanks a lot for the perfect link I was searching for 🙂
(btw: if I try to got via the "How to" page of the "HP Pavilion Deskop - 550-120ng..." you mentioned I can chose "Memory (RAM) or BIOS" and if I then click on the the link "Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) (Windows)" the page shows "Error 404, we're sorry" - maybe a loaction/country issue).

I tried the Windows-Key+B-Methiod in the morning and heard the 8 beeps. After that nothing happened (I left the PC switched on several hours until the afternoon). I just tried it again (a second time without USB stick and also with prepared BIOS recovery USB stick) and in both cases I couldn't reach the point to hear the 8 beeps again.

During the next days/weekend I will retry to reset the PC (I think it was 10 seconds pressing the Power button or something) and if I still can't reproduce the 8 beeps I will try to reset the CMOS. Then I'm out of ideas and will of course post the result (which probably means either something was successfull or I need to give up and bring the hardware for scrapping).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Saebel -- have you tried a Google-search for "BIOS recovery HP {model-name-here]", to see if somebody has posted their experiences and/or advice?

HP Recommended

Hi Itsmyname,

Thanks for your reply.

I searched for something like "BIOS recovery HP Pavilion 550-102NG" and it now leads to this post here 🙂

I also tried it with some similar searches (containing "HP 550, or HP Pavilion 500, or motherboard related information). The result were only general explanations and as there was also a HP laptop series with "550" in the name it leads to a lot of suggestions how to reset the BIOS using an HP laptop. Specificly related to the HP Pavilion 550-102NG or related motherboard I did't find clear instructions.

Best regards

HP Recommended

@Saebel -- please access: 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-550-100-desktop-pc-series/8499648/model/8902976/doc...

This page is linked from: HP Pavilion Desktop - 550-102ng (ENERGY STAR) How to | HP® Customer Support

After clickng the first hyperlink, above, scroll-down to the section: During a BIOS update reboot, a black screen displays and automatic recovery fails

to see if that helps.

HP Recommended

@Itsmyname -- Thanks a lot for the perfect link I was searching for 🙂
(btw: if I try to got via the "How to" page of the "HP Pavilion Deskop - 550-120ng..." you mentioned I can chose "Memory (RAM) or BIOS" and if I then click on the the link "Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) (Windows)" the page shows "Error 404, we're sorry" - maybe a loaction/country issue).

I tried the Windows-Key+B-Methiod in the morning and heard the 8 beeps. After that nothing happened (I left the PC switched on several hours until the afternoon). I just tried it again (a second time without USB stick and also with prepared BIOS recovery USB stick) and in both cases I couldn't reach the point to hear the 8 beeps again.

During the next days/weekend I will retry to reset the PC (I think it was 10 seconds pressing the Power button or something) and if I still can't reproduce the 8 beeps I will try to reset the CMOS. Then I'm out of ideas and will of course post the result (which probably means either something was successfull or I need to give up and bring the hardware for scrapping).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.