Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy Phoenix Desktop 860-001
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since I cleaned and put new thermal Paste , I can’t Start my pc. have a Black Screen. I allready checked everything and reset the cmos aswell. Everything is starting Fans, Disk, gpu baut no Image. I allready try with three Monitors. I was trying to Open a case but it gives me always a Massage for trying later. Somebody can help me??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

I am not an HP employee.

You would have to talk to HP support.

RMA the PC for service.

Bent CPU socket pins are not usually a warranty item. 

Grzy

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

Please provide full model number. There are quite a few different products using 860-001.

Please explain, in detail, how you applied new thermal paste. Did you remove the CPU from the socket? Describe every step you took from removing the side panel to replacing the side panel.  Why did you do this? Was the CPU running hot? Please describe how you reset CMOS.

You stated you are now trying to open the case but it gives you a message to try later. I don't know what this means since you stated you see no image on screen.

Do you see an on screen message? Are you getting error beep codes?

Your problem could be anything from ESD to a dislodged CPU or bent pins, MB (power or EPS), graphics card supplemental PCIe power connection, or CPU fan cable. Are you connecting the monitor to the correct graphics port on the rear I/O shield? Do you have onboard graphics or a discrete graphics card? Did you try a different data cable connection to the monitor? Does the monitor power on?

Grzy

HP Recommended
HP Envy Phoenix Desktop 860-001np DT PC PORT

My CPU was last two month with standard temperature of 45 degrees and in full use 85 degrees. I work with 3D modeling and do. a lot of rendering. I clean first all the dust inside and it was a lot. After cleaning the pc worked better. After one month it has again high temperatures. Then I wanted to see the thermal paste. It was almost nothing there and was very dry. I decided to change for new one. What I already has done for my other PCs.

Step by step. I turn of the of
I disconnected all cables.
I press the power button for taking the last energy from the of.
I open the side panel.
I took a photo from all the conections. In case having doubt at connecting back.
I disconnect the power cables from the mainboard.
I disconnected the two fan cables.
I took off the cooler from the CPU.
I clean the cooler.
I took the CPU carefully out and clean it from the old paste.
I put the CPU carefully on place and put a line of thermal paste on the center.
I put the cooler on place.
Then connect all the cables step by step on place again.
I close the pic.
Connected mouse and keyboard and monitors like before.
I put the power cable and start the pc.
Everything started to work. But no image on monitors.

For cmos reset I took all the cables out ( exterior) and took of the mainboard battery for five 10 minute and put the jumper on cmos reset for one minute. Then change the jumper to right position put the battery in , close the pc and connect everything again for starting the pc. Nothing changed.

The monitors don't receive anything from the pc. Not even on the beginning.

I could open the hp case this morning and get the confirmation.

Robert
HP Recommended

Hi Robert

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. I still can't find the 860-001np product number. I see nx, ng,ns. nl, and no.

Your MB has the intel Z170 chipset.

It appears you have done all that is required to be successful. I would not have removed the CPU from the socket when cleaning and applying new thermal paste.

Did you use an anti static wrist-strap or pad and not work on carpet while working inside the chassis?

Try reseating the graphics card. Carefully check connections on all cables you removed and reconnected. Check and verify the CMOS jumper pins are in the correct position.

If all is connected correctly then ESD may have occurred or CPU socket pins have been bent.

Grzy

HP Recommended
If it is broken, the warranty cover this problem?
HP Recommended

Hi

I am not an HP employee.

You would have to talk to HP support.

RMA the PC for service.

Bent CPU socket pins are not usually a warranty item. 

Grzy

HP Recommended
Thanks for help anyway Grzy...
HP Recommended

Hi Robert

You are welcome.

Sorry to be the bearer of possible bad new.

The CPU socket pins are very fragile. ESD can happen without your knowledge if you don't take precautions when working with components.

It is also possible you may have over torqued the heatsink fittings when reattaching it to the motherboard.

Have a local tech take a look if HP won't honor the warranty.

Grzy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.