Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion a6750f Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Hello,

So I wanted to reinstall my psu and when I did I made sure both my 24 pin power and 4 pin cpu were plugged in. Now when I turn my pc on the mouse lights up so I know there's power, but nothing on screen shows up. Also when I press the power button on my pc the led won't turn off and the computer stays on EVEN when I try holding it for 30 seconds it won't turn off. Also the fan is pretty loud when I boot it up, so I'm pretty sure it's not the motherboard because things are getting power like my mouse and it was working fine before I removed the psu...

There were no Error Messages or Beeps
My PC won't shutdown either when pressing the button, or trying to hold it for 30 SECONDS
Loud Fan Noise on startup also

Help please Thank You
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

Does PC start by itself when energized with AC power?

What caused you to want to reinstall the power supply? Try different power supply.

Maybe try reset CMOS and replace battery (located by X16 PCIe slot) on motherboard.

Recheck all connections. Inspect motherboard for bad capacitors or other unusual event.

PC  model is from 2008/2009. Maybe motherboard, or main component on motherboard, or front power switch have failed.

Grzy

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello

Does PC start by itself when energized with AC power?

What caused you to want to reinstall the power supply? Try different power supply.

Maybe try reset CMOS and replace battery (located by X16 PCIe slot) on motherboard.

Recheck all connections. Inspect motherboard for bad capacitors or other unusual event.

PC  model is from 2008/2009. Maybe motherboard, or main component on motherboard, or front power switch have failed.

Grzy

HP Recommended
Hi,

No the PC doesn't turn on by its self I have to press the power button to turn it on and I have to remove the power cord to turn it off

I was trying to remove the power supply to see what cords it has and to see if a graphics card I got would fit

I'm going to recheck my cpu power cause that's the only thing I can think, and the motherboard is fine because it the power supply was only out for about 5 min max and it was working before I removed it

I'll keep you updated but if you have any other solution please tell
Thank you
HP Recommended

Yeah, so I dont know why but my ower ot my harddrive was causing the problem becasue when i opened it, the power cable to the hhd was lose and i just plugged it in more and it wokred LOL

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.