Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0053w
Microsoft Windows 11

I have an HP Pavilion 590-p0053w. I added an SSD to the OEM 2 in 1 SATA power connector and added my own SATA data cable. Closed it up and rebooted…no power. Once I disconnected the SSD, the computer had power, but it was beeping (3 long beeps/white light and 2 short beeps/white light) and the screen was black. Keyboard unresponsive and no light for caps lock. I looked up the code and could only find one similar which stated it could be faulty ram. I replaced my ram with a brand new new one. I tried DIMM 1 and 2. No change. I also tried resetting the CMOS, to no avail. I really need help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JayX19 

Sorry to see this has happened. This is a very unusual coincidence.

You would have to buy a replacement CPU at eBay or elsewhere. The memory controller is embedded in the CPU die.

The problem is: it could alternately be a MB problem. This is why I suggested finding a local PC tech. You could buy a CPU only to find the MB was the problem.

The Tech might have a compatible CPU that can be dropped into the MB to check if the CPU has a problem.

No change after trying a different CPU points to replacing the MB.

Regards

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @JayX19 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

It is perplexing to see a RAM problem after installing a SSD (a 3:2 beep code is a memory error). Could be coincidental. The compounding issue is not all memory modules work with some HP MBs.

Did you try only the factory RAM again, one stick at a time, in each memory slot after disconnecting the new SSD?

You reset CMOS. I normally let the PC sit for about five minutes after removing the CR2032 MB battery to reset CMOS.

Did you remove the SATA data cable from the MB in addition to disconnecting SATA power?

Regards

HP Recommended

Yes. I let it sit for 5 minutes after resetting CMOS. I did try the original ram in dimm 1 and 2 again. No luck 🍀 yes I did remove sata cable and sata data cable

HP Recommended

Yes. I did remove sata cable as well

HP Recommended

Hi @JayX19 

It sounds like an unrelated problem with the dual slot, single memory channel, traces from the memory slots to the CPU socket, or a CPU memory controller problem. You can't get a POST using a single stick of factory RAM in each memory slot.

Start the PC with no memory to see if you get a POST "no memory error".

I can't think of any thing else that could have possibly happened.

Regards

HP Recommended

When I take the ram out I still get 3:2 beeps all white lights

HP Recommended

Hi @JayX19 

It is tough to say if you have a bad stick of HP memory and an incompatible stick of replacement RAM.

Is the new stick of RAM compatible with your MB? What do you have?

Your MB will work with compatible HP memory and memory recommended by Crucial Memory.

You will have to try a third compatible stick of memory to narrow the problem to the MB (memory slots or MB traces from the memory slots to the CPU) or the CPU memory controller.

Regards

HP Recommended

image.jpg

My new memory is from crucible. Their website says it’s compatible. The new one is DDR4-3200 UDIMM 1.2v CL22

HP Recommended

Hi @JayX19 

You could try running the PC in a minimum config. (EDIT) However, a memory problem is not usually a symptom you would see if a component or peripheral connected the the MB or PC was causing a problem.

Only connect a monitor. Disconnect HDDs or SSDs, disconnect the M.2 WIFI card, disconnect front panel USB and the USB card reader. See what happens.

Both memory sticks are bad or you have a CPU or MB problem if running a minimum config does not help.

You might have to try a third stick of compatible, known good, RAM.

Then try a different CPU and then a different MB if you see the same symptom using a third stick of compatible RAM

Or have a local PC tech check this stuff.

Regards

HP Recommended

How would I go about fixing it if it’s the CPU Memory Controller? Im pretty sure both sticks of ram work and I also tested them at my friends house which is why I took so long to respond. They both worked on his machine. Same as mine. Everything was 100% fine until the SSD was added. I removed My m.2 SSD, all hard drive, data power and data cables. All external wires. Still the same results.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.