Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillon Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Boot Computer. Blue Screen comes on and says Choose Keyboard Layout. US selected. Screen still Blue and gives 2 options: Trouble Shoot or Turn Off PC.  Neither helps get past this blue screen.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @GoJo1,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand that you have an HP Pavilion Desktop PC. I read that the PC does not boot to Windows and displays a blue screen with the option to choose a keyboard layout. 

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'l need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the exact model of the PC? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC?

Did it happen after a software or Windows update?

Have you tried to run any test on the computer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the PC

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

If the issue persists then let us run the hardware tests. The BIOS diagnostic tests are used for quick hardware troubleshooting at system startup. These tests can be loaded even when a hardware failure prevents the operating system from starting. In addition, these tests load in a fraction of the time that it takes the operating system to start.

Use these diagnostics when you are having intermittent issues, or when you suspect memory or hard drive issues. These tests take one to two minutes to complete.

Use one of the following sections to run the BIOS diagnostic tests:

BIOS version 6 or less:

Complete the following steps:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Restart the computer, pressing the F9 key repeatedly until the HP Vision Hardware Diagnostics start.

3. Wait while the diagnostic automatically runs the following tests:

• CPU test

• Hard Drive Connection test

• Boot test

• S.M.A.R.T. test (hard drive test)

• Memory test

4. When the testing is complete, the results display on the screen. If a test fails, write down the error message and error code so you have the information when you contact HP Support.

82: Vision Hardware Diagnostics results

BIOS Diagnostics results

• Press the R key to reboot the computer.

BIOS version 7 or greater:

Complete the following steps:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Use one of the following methods:

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the HP Vision Hardware Diagnostics program opens.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup menu opens. Then press F2.

83: Startup menu

Startup menu

Wait while the diagnostic automatically runs the following tests:

• CPU test

• Hard Drive Connection test

• Boot test

• S.M.A.R.T. test (hard drive test)

• Memory test

When the testing is complete, the results are displayed on the screen. If a test fails, write down the error message and error code so you have the information when you contact HP Support.

84: Vision Hardware Diagnostics results

BIOS Diagnostics results

Press the R key to reboot the computer.

If the hard drive tests pass then you may to reinstall the Windows operating system.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your solution.  I tried to get thru to HP Support but was put on hold for 5 hours and hung up on several times, after paying for support.  They still didn't respond.  I took the computer to a local Technician Genius.  He couldn't believe what he found when he tried to fix the problem.  He finally discovered that the Operating System was corrupted.  He was able to back up my data but unless a Recovery Disk works, the computer is garbage.  I'm trying to decide what action to take again HP.  Thanks again for your help.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. After the "choose your keyboard" screen I get the troubleshoot and turn off your pc error. I read that there was a problem with Avast and windows 10 1083. I tried all the methods out ther without any luck. 

What I did before the prblem was to uninstall some programs and  started an Avast boot time scan. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.