Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion SR-1711
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

product number: hk2m55aa#aba
BIOS: american megatrends v- 2.14.1219 copyright 2012
motherboard: MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine)
chipset: AMD A75 FCH

I cannot boot past the HP splash screen. Monitor displays it then boot just stops.
Never get to the windows logo.
Never get to an option to boot any peripherals like from OEM CD drive or any USB drive
There is never a beep.
There is no error code.

All the usb ports get power, I checked them with a plugin light.
The HDD spins, I can feel the vibration.
The fans work.
The usb optical mouse lights up but no cursor appears.
The USB keyboard can be used to freeze the boot process but nothing else.
I reseated the RAM and all the power and data cables.
I replaced the CMOS battery yesterday.
I have not tried to move the jumpers.

Tried these things:

nogo:
With the computer off, press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time.
Still pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3

seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows and B keys until

the BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).

nogo:
disconnected the HDD & restarted.
Hard reset made no difference.

nogo: press the power button and these:
F1, F2, F3, F4, F8, F10, F12,
F11 (from HP video)
windows key +b (from hp)
Tab
Esc
Ctrl+Alt+F3
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Del (using Del from the keypad)
Ctrl+Insert
Ctrl+Shift+Esc
Fn+[any "F" function key] (on some laptops)
Ctrl+Alt+Enter
CTRL+ALT+ESC, CTRL+ALT+S, CTRL+ALT+INS (phoenix)
<Fn> key and the Power Button at the same time (Dell)

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@login-123 None of the product details you've provided has helped me get any information about the device you've got, most likely because the device is obsolete and that means I can only get you limited support options at this time, that said, you may want to remove the hard drive and check if the device boots past the HP logon screen?

If it does, the hard drive could be the issue, and if nothing works, you may need to get the motherboard repaired/replaced,

you may order the replacement parts on the HP Parts Store, If you've already looked for it and couldn't find it on the HP Parts Store, you may want to get it locally at the online store such as Amazon or eBay, etc...as the part numbers are universal.

Alternatively, If you have an HP authorized service center near by, you should be able to take it to them and have it checked,

Here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: Click here

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Riddle_Decipher, thank you for looking into it. 

You are right, this machine is old in computer years. Some information and the drivers are still available, but there is little point in pursuing that line, since the machine wont recognize any sort of boot medium. But thank you anyway.

I have disconnected everything including the hard drive, one device at a time, and booting always stops at the HP logon screen, or at a black screen describing the computer specs.  Also have tried all the key combinations listed.  Nothing worked. I'll try to hook up the hard drive to another machine and check it out. May give a call to the HP service center.

There is one jumper on the motherboard that I don't understand. It's labeled ROM recovery. Any idea what that is?

The machine came with GPT format and a UEFI type BIOS. I may have messed up that first boot partition.

If anything works I'll post it.  Thanks again. 

HP Recommended

@login-123 You are right, I'm afraid it's time for an upgrade, also, we don't deal with jumper settings hence there's nothing much I can add to it,

I suggest you check with a local tech if need be, just to be on a safer side, if you wish to pursue fixing the device.

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.