Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
23-r009
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have an HP all-in-one machine. It came (in Oct 2015) with Windows 8 installed, which I upgraded to Wondows 10. 

My husband installed Ubuntu Linux on it, and I have been going along with dual boot. Recently he installed Fedora Workstation 29, digging out disk space from his Ubuntu hard drive, but something went wrong and now when I turn on the machine I can only see the message "Boot Device Not Found" (Error code 3F0). 

From the BIOS I don't see any EFI device to boot. My husband can boot the machine from the infamous Fedora 29 live usb, and if he mount the drives we can see all the files we have on both Windows and Ubuntu. 

We tried most of the rescue procedure we found on both HP support and Windows support website, with no success (in fact, with no UEFI device we cannot access the rescue apps).

Can anyone help us fixing this issue? We'll be happy with dual boot, either EFI or legacy. I think we should reinstall GRUB2, but where? 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi

Pass.

BIOS Boot One.png

F5/F6 may re-arrrange the sequence.

In my BIOS I have the above arrangement, and it is complicated, because there are SECURE BOOT versions of Grub and Legacy styles. Debian is old school, OpenSuse does both.

Fedora I aint touched since about Fed 6. 

https://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/grub2.html

The GRUB 2 EFI binary (grubx64.efi, typically

My Guess is that the BIOS is secure Boot and a Grub legacy is in the top spot.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Hello Lil_Boy_Blue, 

thanks for the quick answer. 

My first goal will be to be able to boot from hard drive. If I <esc> on the start and then f10 in the BIOS setup utility, this is what I see:

Image.jpeg

I would like to be able to boot from SATA0, which is my primary (only) hard drive. 

If I try, I receive the message

Image 2.jpeg

My tools are quite limited: as I told, I can boot from a fedora live usb. 

HP Recommended

Hi

My quick answer has been forestalled as your piccies can take some hours to be approved.

So I cant suggest owt else.

HP Recommended

Hi

What a co-incidence  "My tools are quite limited:"  so are my brains.

Background...

Grub in Ubuntu etc is a nightmare for me, the only one I get to work properly is OpenSuse YAST.

So I aint gonna be much help there. The best repair is either Debian or Knoppix for me.

In W10 I have installed EasyBCD so that the Windows Boot Manager can (after 8 seconds) boot normally or goto my recovery X:\ where W10 extracted iso sits.

Now EasyBCD allows me to see 14 partitions on my single HDD. 5 of which are tiny and contain the 5 boot managers I guess.

MAKE absolutely certain W10 has Fast Start-Up disabled.

So if you can use Gparted in Linux and look at the partition table and note any potential boot manager ones, typically 150 - 250 Mb that may help.

When your piccies are approved I may have something sensible to say.

HP Recommended

Thanks, 

If I list the partition table with parted -l I get

Model: ATA WDC (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector Size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: pmbr_boot

it follows a list of possible boot partitions:

Number Start End               Size      File System               Name                      Flags
    1                        1073MB         ntfs           Basic data partition          hidden, drag
    2                         377MB         fat32         EFI System partition             boot, esp
    3                         134MB                    Microsoft Reserved Partition         msftres
    9                        1049kB                                                         bios_grub

HP Recommended

Hi

The error in the picture is that of a Network Boot as you probably know, I disable my network boot capability.

There is eLilo as a boot manager, but it a single use item and wont chain to another boot loader, but it's a back stop slightly better than what you have.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing

https://www.howtogeek.com/114884/how-to-repair-grub2-when-ubuntu-wont-boot/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.