Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 570P068N
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Last Friday I bought this machine to use as a Ubuntu file server for our home run business, something which I have done many times before in the past.  The BIOS layout had changed since I retired from active IT work 5 years ago and I couldn't work out how to change the boot sequence.  I logged on to HP support whose first question was 'Did we buy the machine from Currys?'  The answer was 'yes' so I was immediately transferred to the Currys KnowHow Team.  After filling a detailed questionaire which almost reached the point of asking for my mother's maiden name I was able to ask my question.  All well and good.

This morning I had an email from Currys telling me that I had no contract with them and I should refer to you.

Where do I go from here?

Malcolm Brown

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi

Well giving you the benefit of the doubt, in that you would trust Curry's to solve a PC problem...

What is the problem?

Boot Man x 5.jpgMultiBoot.jpg

BIOS Boot2 .jpg

BIOS Boot One.png

Initially it is a choice of Legacy/Secure and Ubuntu (PAH!) I use Lubuntu, Debian and OpenSuSE alongside W10, 3 being on Secure boot and Debian being Legacy boot.

So if possible give us the install sequence, was/is there any microsoft software on the machine?

Grub2?  Grub efi?

Maybe a nice clean screen shot?

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

The machine is as it was bought last Friday with Windows 10 Home installed.  I want to replace this with Ubuntu which is loaded onto a DVD but I have failed in my attemptto set the boot sequence to put the DVD player first.

On pressing Esc at startup these are the screens I get:

Hmm, 'it' doesn't seem to let me write below the photos but my sight is poor and I may have missed something.

UEFI is new to me so my problem seems to be in gettin around this.

I hope you can help.

Malcolm

20180827_134124.jpg20180827_134608.jpg20180827_134140.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi

Could you please expand on the

MAKE, MODEL, OS and SKU?

WinKey + R and type msinfo32 then look at line 9 for the SKU.

OK.

Ignoring most of your screenshots, for me it is

POWER on and ESCAPE key.  Then F9, to list/select the USB/DVD you want.

Yours does look familiar.

Belt and Braces

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0

Rufus - https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Then with both USB and DVD inserted it doubles your chances.

HP Recommended

Here are the details:

HP Pavillion 570P068N runing Windows 10 Home and the SKU is 2CW35EA#ABU

The problem really revolves around this UEFI thing which prevents any changes to the boot sequence.  Have you any idea how I get around that please?

Malcolm

HP Recommended

> this UEFI thing which prevents any changes to the boot sequence.

Your images show "legacy" sources.

Can you select that, and then select the CD/DVD that contains the UBUNTU Installer?

HP Recommended

> Last Friday I bought this machine ...

> I logged on to HP support, whose first question was 'Did we buy the machine from Currys?' 

> The answer was 'yes' so I was immediately transferred to the Currys KnowHow Team. 

> This morning, I had an email from Currys telling me that I had no contract with them.

That really is some business -- "our promise to you, our valued customer, is a warranty that lasts 10 minutes or 10 steps outside our door".

I would be really tempted to return the computer, and get a refund.

Then, I would never again purchase anything from them.

I would also find contact their "Public Relations" office, and tell them about the wonderful support from their No-Way Team.

HP Recommended

I am guessing that the Currys you are referring to is not the USA-based "Art Store" (www.currys.com) but the UK store.

I accessed: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-33-u.html

and scrolled-down to:

Explore our brand shops

View HP brand shop

and clicked that hyperlink, to get:

The requested URL was rejected. Please consult with your administrator.
Your support ID is: 3982952778398091215

Yes, indeed, what a wonderful company they are.

From their web-site: You don't have to buy a Repair & Support Plan at the same time as you purchase your new product. You have up to 12 months to decide.

So, if you did not buy that option, they are correct -- you have no contract.

LIke a "no-frills" airline, where luggage & food & seating is optional, what you buy is what you get.

HP Recommended

Hi

I dont understand the problem.

You can install Ubuntu in Legacy or Secure Boot mode. 

I have done Lubuntu and OpenSuSE in both on this wot I got from Argos.

Your screenshots say to use F9 to find the Bootable Device, so it's F9.

IF you switch to Legacy Mode (Like in my screen shot where Legacy is highlighted and Secure is dimmed out) and then use (for me) F5 and F6 to re-order everything.

In one of your screenshots you have the  white triangle as a pointer against

> UEFI Boot Sources

and underneath it says F5=Disable   and does it disable it.

ELSE

In Windows 10 and Windows 8, click Power and hold down the Shift key while you click Restart. Continue holding down Shift until the Choose an Option screen displays.

From the Choose an Option screen, click Troubleshoot.

From the Troubleshoot screen, click Advanced options.

From the Advanced options screen, click UEFI Firmware Settings.

From the UEFI Firmware Settings screen, click Restart.

The computer restarts and the Startup Menu opens.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-pavilion-570-p000-desktop-pc-series/13823514/model/18695643/...

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-pavilion-570-p000-desktop-pc-series/13823514/model/18695643/...

HP Pavilion Desktop - 570-p068na
HP Pavilion Desktop - 570-p068na
HP Recommended

@MalcolmBrown

Follow the directions here to Disable Secure boot and Enable Legacy boot:

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.