Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Omni 100
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)
Hi, I booted my PC and the button didn't work and no led light. After 1 day, suddenly my PC worked for one hour and then suddenly shutted down and after pressing the button it showed media test failed check cable. On bios it didn't show HDD device however earlier it showed. After an hour again the boot button didn't work and I am stuck. Any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AceUp wrote:
Hi, I booted my PC and the button didn't work and no led light.
After 1 day, suddenly my PC worked for one hour and then suddenly shutted down 
after pressing the button it showed media test failed check cable.
On bios it didn't show HDD device however earlier it showed.
After an hour again the boot button didn't work and I am stuck.

Your disk-drive is in "imminent failure" status.  Sometimes, the motherboard detects it, and sometimes it does not.

Your motherboard tries to boot from many sources:

• CD/DVD
  • USB memory-stick
  • floppy-drive
  • disk-drive
  • network (to try to communicate with the corporate data-center's "boot-server")

When it fails to boot from the first four above sources, it tries the fifth.

When no "boot-server" responds, you get the message that you reported.

You need to replace the disk-drive, before it permanently quits.

Easiest method:

1. purchase a new disk-drive, of the same physical dimensions, from Seagate.
  2. on another computer, download SEATOOLS from www.Seagate.com
  3. install SEATOOLS on that other computer.
  4. Run SEATOOLS to create a bootable program, on USB or on CD-recordable media.
  5. On your computer, connect the new disk-drive, and leave the old disk-drive connected.
  6. Boot your computer from that bootable USB/CD media.
  7. Use the "disk-cloning" software on that media to make a copy of your old disk-drive, onto the new diskk-drive.
  8. Shutdown.
  9. Disconnect the old disk-drive.
  10. Boot from the new disk-drive.  All your programs and personal files will be present.

Note: in step #1, you could purchase from Western Digital. Then, in #2, download Acronis WD Edition from www.wd.com and use it, instead of SEATOOLS for steps #3 through #10.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@AceUp wrote:
Hi, I booted my PC and the button didn't work and no led light.
After 1 day, suddenly my PC worked for one hour and then suddenly shutted down 
after pressing the button it showed media test failed check cable.
On bios it didn't show HDD device however earlier it showed.
After an hour again the boot button didn't work and I am stuck.

Your disk-drive is in "imminent failure" status.  Sometimes, the motherboard detects it, and sometimes it does not.

Your motherboard tries to boot from many sources:

• CD/DVD
  • USB memory-stick
  • floppy-drive
  • disk-drive
  • network (to try to communicate with the corporate data-center's "boot-server")

When it fails to boot from the first four above sources, it tries the fifth.

When no "boot-server" responds, you get the message that you reported.

You need to replace the disk-drive, before it permanently quits.

Easiest method:

1. purchase a new disk-drive, of the same physical dimensions, from Seagate.
  2. on another computer, download SEATOOLS from www.Seagate.com
  3. install SEATOOLS on that other computer.
  4. Run SEATOOLS to create a bootable program, on USB or on CD-recordable media.
  5. On your computer, connect the new disk-drive, and leave the old disk-drive connected.
  6. Boot your computer from that bootable USB/CD media.
  7. Use the "disk-cloning" software on that media to make a copy of your old disk-drive, onto the new diskk-drive.
  8. Shutdown.
  9. Disconnect the old disk-drive.
  10. Boot from the new disk-drive.  All your programs and personal files will be present.

Note: in step #1, you could purchase from Western Digital. Then, in #2, download Acronis WD Edition from www.wd.com and use it, instead of SEATOOLS for steps #3 through #10.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

HP Recommended

First of all, I have four hard drives. One dedicated to system. Others are free. Second problem is that the boot button doesn't work so how do I get it to boot using bootable device. Can it be my operating system failed?

HP Recommended

@AceUp wrote:

I have four hard drives.

One dedicated to system.

Others are free.

Second problem is that the boot button doesn't work, so how do I get it to boot using bootable device.

Can it be my operating system failed?

It is the one that you have dedicated to "system" that is the cause of your symptoms, because the BIOS either

• cannot detect that disk-drive -- the disk-drive is not responding at all, or, 
  • the BIOS cannot find the initial "boot-blocks" on that disk-drive -- the operating system has failed.

I don't know what you mean by "boot button does not work".

As I wrote, your computer tries to boot from each of those five sources.

Restart your computer, and enter BIOS SETUP, to view/change the precedence that it tries each of those sources.

Since you have four disk-drives, one of the five entries could be a "disk-drive group", namely a list of the four disk-drives, in some order, and only the first member of that group is used as the representative boot-device for the group.

[Compare to a basketball team, where there are several players on the bench, but when the coach sits-down one of the "starting-five", then only the best one player of those on the bench enters the game. Further, the player that has just sat down may take the "#1" position on the bench, to be the first player to later re-enter the game.]

HP Recommended

Let me explain. After pressing the button on the monitor, nothing happens. It stays as if I never pressed at all.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

@AceUp wrote:

After pressing the button on the monitor, nothing happens. It stays as if I never pressed at all.

This symptom implies that the motherboard has completely failed, and does not react to the use of the ON/OFF button.

If the original HP Warranty still is valid, Contact HP, to open a claim against the warranty.

If the warranty has ended, you can still contact HP, and pay them to repair your computer, or you can take the computer to any local computer technician, for trouble-shooting, and advice on the economics of "repair" versus "replace".

The only "good news" is it is very likely that your disk-drive is fine -- all your personal files can be retrieved.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

HP Recommended
I also sent it to the hp workshop and they fixed it and it worked perfectly however after a day, the on/off button failed again.
HP Recommended
Any ideas?
HP Recommended

@AceUp wrote:
I also sent it to the hp workshop and they fixed it and it worked perfectly
however after a day, the on/off button failed again.

What did they tell you that they did?  Obviously, they did not "fix" it properly.  Sigh.

You could have an intermittent electrical problem with the motherboard, that only occasionally manifests itself.

Experiment #1: pick-up the computer, and give it a good shake. 

That might affect some of the electrical circuits on the motherboard, causing them to make proper contact.

Experiment #2: throw the computer into the trunk of your vehicle, and drive to the HP Workshop.

Do not enter the HP Workshop -- just drive straight home.

That amount of "shaking" during transportation might also temporarily circumvent an intermittent problem.

Best suggestion: find a different computer technician, who will understand that you have an "intermittent" problem, and will be able to trouble-shoot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.