Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario
Microsoft Windows XP

I installed service pack 3 from softonic and the computer now refuses to boot except in safe mode I believe there is a fix for this as it seems it happens a lot with pcs with AMD installed  any help will be greatly appreciated  thanks in advance 

Dalkia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am glad to have helped.  Under normal circumstances, I agree with "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

However running WinXP without SP3 is dubious considering the exposure you would be under.  In this instance, the problem was well know to HP machines and I saw the fix for it before I ran the SP3 update back in 2008 and good for you I remembered what caused the problem.  Google is your friend, BTW.

Best of luck running that old system.

BTW: I am an OAP, too.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I remember that from way back when.  The HP-Compaq computers with an AMD processor went belly-up.  See this

https://thetechangel.com/blog/2008/09/urgent-patch-for-users-who-own-a-compaq-hp-pc-with-an-amd-proc...

See if that will help

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the fix my pc is up and running again and as an OAP is one of my few contacts with the outside world.Its also taught me not to alter things I have very little knowledge of  If its' not broke there's no need to fix it. Once again many thanks  Dalkia  

HP Recommended

I am glad to have helped.  Under normal circumstances, I agree with "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

However running WinXP without SP3 is dubious considering the exposure you would be under.  In this instance, the problem was well know to HP machines and I saw the fix for it before I ran the SP3 update back in 2008 and good for you I remembered what caused the problem.  Google is your friend, BTW.

Best of luck running that old system.

BTW: I am an OAP, too.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.