Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I want to run an Opteron CPU that's within the supported specs of my narra5 MN268-LA Compaq machine using OS based CPU microcodes. It’s my understanding the bios on this board will shut the system down if an unrecognized CPU is installed. Is there a way to move past that?

Be real, be sober.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I got this working.   Hitting F2 got me past the unrecognized CPU error.   I was able to still get into the bios and the boot loader, didn't have to hold the F2 from boot, just hit it when the error comes up or anywhere within a mile/minute or so of that.  So I'm running an Opteron 1356 quad core.   Also have an HD5750 installed.  No power issues, no stability issues.   I have kill-a-watt meter and it all looks fine, except this PSU is terrible, like 59% power factor?   Really bad power factor rating, and then it gets worse at idle, like 40%.  PSU uses like 9 watts just sitting there with the system turned off and like 20+ showing after the power factor.   I plan on trying to run ECC on this system using PC2-6400E memory on Linux. 

Anyone ever tried 4GB modules on this Narra5 board?   I know only 2GB are supported, but just wondering if anyone has actually tried using a 4GB module.

Thanks, Bill.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@WSmart

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

HP Recommended

I got this working.   Hitting F2 got me past the unrecognized CPU error.   I was able to still get into the bios and the boot loader, didn't have to hold the F2 from boot, just hit it when the error comes up or anywhere within a mile/minute or so of that.  So I'm running an Opteron 1356 quad core.   Also have an HD5750 installed.  No power issues, no stability issues.   I have kill-a-watt meter and it all looks fine, except this PSU is terrible, like 59% power factor?   Really bad power factor rating, and then it gets worse at idle, like 40%.  PSU uses like 9 watts just sitting there with the system turned off and like 20+ showing after the power factor.   I plan on trying to run ECC on this system using PC2-6400E memory on Linux. 

Anyone ever tried 4GB modules on this Narra5 board?   I know only 2GB are supported, but just wondering if anyone has actually tried using a 4GB module.

Thanks, Bill.

HP Recommended

Also helpful with this Unsupported CPU issue to use suspend mode when powering down.    I think I can power up AND back down from and to suspend mode in under 20 seconds, and I don't have to load programs or files.  And you won't have to wait to hit F2 on boot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.