Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
860-121 HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-121
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can't update Windows 10 so I tried updating the BIOS on my machine (along with other drivers) and I can't update the BIOS, either, despite the fact there appears to be a bios update available for my machine..

HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-121, Windows 10 Home, version 1903, BIOS AMI A0.08, 11/12/2015

Firstly, every time I try to update Win 10 I get BSOD and error "kmode_exception_not_handled" There is no number given to help diagnose this. This has been going on for weeks.

Second, In HP Support there is a BIOS update for my computer. But when I download and run the BIOS update, I don't get the installation dialog box that I believe I am supposed to get. It installs files in the C:\\SWSetup\SP85454 folder, but if I try to run those directly, again, no dialogue box pops up to go through the installation.

Yes, I am using an administrator account. And I have tried running both by just double clicking, as well as by right-clicking, then by left clicking Run As Administrator. Again, no diagloue box to install the BIOS update shows up.

When I reboot, in system information, it shows that I am using the OLD BIOS (AMI A0.08, 11/12/2015) and not the new bios (A0.59 Rev.A Feb 12, 2018)

Also, I have tried using the HP Download and Install Assistant, and I still have the same problem. The file downloads and it extracts to the C:\\SWSetup\SP85454 folder but then it only takes me as far as the EULA screen and then stops the install process.

I have scanned my computer for viruses with windows Defender and with Malwarebytes. I have currently uninstalled Malwarebytes to make sure it isn't affecting the install process.

One final note: I have tried to "reset" windows 10 (I think that is the right word, where you keep your files and apps but the Windows Sytsem files are re-written) using a flash drive, and again I get the "kmode_exception_not_handled" with no diagnostic code.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

One more thing. I can't install the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI on this computer because I get the error dialogue box:

"a latter version of HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI is already installed on this machine."

HP Recommended

My suggestion would be to create a bootable HP UEFI diags stick: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

Copy the SP85454 folder to a USB stick and run the THIA059E.exe file from another computer. Hopefully it'll launch and allow you to copy the BIOS file to 'another location' copy it to the HP UEFI Diags stick. The file you want to see on the UEFI stick is THI_A059.bin. Remove the UEFI stick from the 'working' PC and put it back in the PC you want to update.

Shutdown the PC. Leave the UEFI diags stick in the PC. Turn the PC on and keep tapping F2, Hopefully the PC will boot off the USB stick and launch into HP UEFI Diags. Arrow down to firmware management, choose update bios and browse to the THI_A059.bin file. Now the PC should update the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it. I will try out those steps this afternoon (my son is using that computer for school right now).

Another question (or two):

1. Any thoughts on why Win 10 might not be updating? (Again, the only thing I can assume is that the Kmode Exception Not Handled is POSSIBLY caused by a driver issue, hence the need to update BIOS and other drivers).

2. I might make the computer a pure linux box. Since it seems like HP hardware drivers are .exe files, do Linux users have a way to update drivers? (I guess it is unlikely on a machine several years old to expect HP to continue to churn out driver updates, but you never know.)

HP Recommended

I wanted to say thank you for the help.

I was able to update the BIOS by following (more or less) your directions. 

I didn't need to create a bootable HP UEFI Diagnostic Stick.

I did, though, copy the SP85454 folder from the problem computer to the USB stick, and then copied it to a working Win 10 computer.

I ran THIA059E.exe as you suggested, and it allowed me to copy the bios file to the USB stick.

Then I was able to use the Firmware Manager on the problem computer by taping f2 until I got into the HP tools menu.

So now the BIOS is updated.

However, I still can't update Windows 10, and am still getting the kmode exception not handled.

My guess is that I am going to have to reinstall Windows 10.

Any other thoughts on what it could be?

One thing I noticed is that there is an update driver for the GTX 970 Graphics card (which came with the computer). However, I use the GeForce Experience tool for updating the drivers. Don't know whether I should download and install the GTX 970 driver from the HP site or not.

I might try uninstalling the various third-party hardware in the machine (the GPU, the second HD, the USB keyboard and mouse), and see if that makes a difference.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.