Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
e9290f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This older desktop was running Win10 on a SSD.  I removed the SSD and loaded the ISO on a flash drive.  It will not boot!  It sees the drive and the boot order was changed to load from the drive but it will not load.

Any suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

From what it seems, you are trying to boot Windows from an image of the SSD that is on a flash drive?

Unlrss you made some modifications, Windows will not boot from a flash drive to run as an OS.  It has some builtin protections to prevent that.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

No.  The ISO on the flash drive was downloaded from Microsoft.

HP Recommended

Are you trying to install it on another drive?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

The hard drive in the system was not used.  I thought that I clonned the OS on the SSD to the hard drive; didn't work.  So I thought the ISO on the flash drive was the way to go.

My next idea is to remove the hard drive, make it external to my other computer and download another ISO to this HDD and put it back into the old computer.  Good idea?

HP Recommended

If you make the Windows 10 media from here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation" and follow the drirections, it should be able to boot to that media.

If you do it any other way, I would not expect it to work.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

That's what I used.  I will do it again but use the disk in the old system as as the target.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Read the whole page it does say that you can downloan to a flash drive; so I'm a little confused.  I'll try again.

HP Recommended

Yes it does say that and as long as you follow their directions it will work.  Do not take any other actions.  Let the tool do the work for you.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi

You can download the Microsoft Creation Tool and have it create a working media, like DVD/USB

S:\WINX>dir
 Volume in drive S is Storage
  Directory of S:\WINX

09/08/2018  10:07    <DIR>          .
09/08/2018  10:07    <DIR>          ..
31/03/2015  01:28               128 autorun.inf
09/08/2018  10:05    <DIR>          boot
30/10/2015  04:08           400,228 bootmgr
30/10/2015  03:33         1,147,736 bootmgr.efi
09/08/2018  10:05    <DIR>          efi
13/02/2016  18:34               152 MediaMeta.xml
30/10/2015  03:09            80,576 setup.exe
09/05/2016  10:10            34,691 setuphelp.png
09/08/2018  10:07    <DIR>          sources
09/08/2018  10:07    <DIR>          support
21/04/2017  15:12     3,642,032,128 Windows.iso

You should have a file listing similar (not including the .iso) to mine on your flash drive.

Use the Port side Port, IE Left Hand Side USB port.

If in doubt please ask.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.