Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 850-150qe CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy Phoenix Desktop -850-150qe CTO with MSI MS-7826 v. 2.0 motherboard will not successfully boot into UEFI from the Advanced startup option found on the Recovery page in Windows Settings. The PC boots into Windows 10 properly, but when trying to reboot into UEFI, it boots to a black screen with a repeating series of 6 short beeps, it spontaneously restarts itself to another series of beeps, and then spontaneously reboots into Windows 10.

Since I'm not getting any video output, I'm wondering if this might be related to my 4K monitor, which has only DisplayPort and HDMI connections. It's currently connected via DisplayPort. I have plugged in the original HP USB 2 keyboard and mouse on USB 2 ports for the attempts to enter UEFI. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

ok

first try computer off completely ..
Press the power button, then immediately tap the f10 key!
If you have the same beeps, identify the sequence here:

HP Desktop PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code | HP® Customer Support

What do you want to do with the uefi bios?

I don't know if it's a link, but I seem to have already seen problems when the computer is connected in displayport
can you try with a screen connected to HDMI?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

hi

what exactly do you want to do?
you say the computer starts with windows 10, so it works fine?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I need to get into the UEFI settings.

My hardware is HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 850-150qe CTO with MSI MS-7826 v 2.0 (Kali 2B36 2.0) motherboard. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 graphics card. All as shipped from HP.  I'm using a 4K Monitor connected via DisplayPort.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

Log into the Administrative account > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced startup > Restart now  > Troubleshoot > Advanced > UEFI Firmware Settings > Restart.

Results:

The computer shuts down, the fans start, the screen remains black, and the computer produces a series of six short beeps followed by a brief pause and another six beeps. This goes on for a total of five or six sets of six beeps. The computer automatically restarts and repeats the beep sequence, and the screen remains black the entire time. Finally, the computer automatically restarts and returns to Windows without entering the UEFI settings.

So, am I missing a step? Is there an incompatibility with the hardware configuration listed above? How can this be resolved?

HP Recommended

ok

first try computer off completely ..
Press the power button, then immediately tap the f10 key!
If you have the same beeps, identify the sequence here:

HP Desktop PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code | HP® Customer Support

What do you want to do with the uefi bios?

I don't know if it's a link, but I seem to have already seen problems when the computer is connected in displayport
can you try with a screen connected to HDMI?

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

First, Thank you for your assistance with this!

Yes, I do have an HDMI port available on this monitor. I'll try that first as it sounds like there might be an issue with DisplayPort. Now that you've jogged my aging memory, I do remember accessing UEFI Settings using HDMI with the previous monitor. If this does not resolve the issue, I will try your other suggestions.  

As for why I want to get into UEFI, I wanted to run memory diagnostics from UEFI because the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool would not run from the Windows 10 Pro OS. I also now have a UEFI update available and want to ensure I can access UEFI without issue before applying that update.

HP Recommended

Solved - After changing from DisplayPort to HDMI, I can now enter UEFI/BIOS Settings without issue. Thank you for your timely assistance!

I can confirm that the MSI MS-7826 v 2.0 (Kali 2B36 2.0) with Intel Z97 Chipset UEFI does not work with DisplayPort.

For the benefit of others searching for help with a 4K monitor:  An HDMI 2.0 or better cable is required. It was also necessary to enable the HDMI port in my BenQ monitor's OSD settings. 

HP Recommended

It seems to me that we had reported this with two displays, only on the hdmi, and not the other
And this is the case with my computer, but I had not tested the displayport alone..
I find it all the same curious, if not possible otherwise!
For the test, you can also try a usb key

HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures | HP® Customer Support

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.