Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 500-277c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently triied to fix a problem with my computer and I was going to do windows 10 repair.  I put the computer into safe mode, and upon restart it took me a non-admin log in and told me I can't continue.  I have tried the Shift-Restart options and none of them will load the windows repair disk.  I have it on DVD and USB.  When the computer restarts, it never shows an option to get into the bios menu and the monitor does not respond until the windows log in screen is there.  I've heard of admin tools that can fix it, but ideally don't want to spend the money if I can fix it myself.  Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So I disconnected the video card and ran off the on board video and was able to get into the bios. It did not solve my issue of getting in to windows though so I had to install a fresh copy. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

which of the trouble-shooting options have you tried, with what results?

HP Recommended

I’ve done the shift-restart option and chosen both the usb drive and the dvd drive. But upon restart ignored those and goes back to the windows log in screen where it tells me a non administrator cannot log in to safe mode. I’ve tried hitting escape, f8, f10, a combination of those, etc to try and get into bios to change the boot order. 

HP Recommended

@KevJ25 wrote:

I’ve tried hitting escape, f8, f10, a combination of those, etc. to try and get into bios to change the boot order. 

Have you tried:

* shutdown

* disconnect the AC power

* remove the side-panel, to expose the disk-drive

* disconnect the data and power cables from the disk-drive

* connect the AC power

* power-on

Since the computer cannot boot from the disk-drive, can you now enter BIOS SETUP, and promote the DVD & USB devices to the top of the boot-devices priority?

HP Recommended

So I disconnected the video card and ran off the on board video and was able to get into the bios. It did not solve my issue of getting in to windows though so I had to install a fresh copy. 

HP Recommended

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.